python or mql5

Dear support team,

I hope this message finds you well!

My team is looking to migrate our highly profitable trading algo to another home and we are trying to find what platform will provide the most benefits. The following are some questions we still need answers to that we have been unable to find reliable information on.

A portion of our migration will need to involve building our own candle manipulation system from standard candles to something we have created. It appears none of the community scripts is satisfactory enough to do so and we are planning to write our own source code. Do you recommend we develop this code in python or mql5? Our main goal is to have a VPS algo do trades based on how our new candles form.

I appreciate your time.

Best Regards,
João Valério

Your topic has been moved to the section: Expert Advisors and Automated Trading
Please consider which section is most appropriate — https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/172166/page6#comment_49114893

I recommend MQL5 without a doubt.

Python is interpreted and slow compared to MQL5 which is compiled.

MQL5 also gives you direct access to much more of the platform's inner functionality, while Python has to remotely go through an API, which communicates via named pipes, and is limited in functionality.

Also, to make use of MetaTrader's Strategy Tester, it's Cloud and VPS services, etc. you need to use MQL.

PS! This is a user forum. MetaQuotes does not directly support users, only brokers. We the users, are your direct line of peer support.

3195512:
Dear support team,

I hope this message finds you well!

My team is looking to migrate our highly profitable trading algo to another home and we are trying to find what platform will provide the most benefits. The following are some questions we still need answers to that we have been unable to find reliable information on.

A portion of our migration will need to involve building our own candle manipulation system from standard candles to something we have created. It appears none of the community scripts is satisfactory enough to do so and we are planning to write our own source code. Do you recommend we develop this code in python or mql5? Our main goal is to have a VPS algo do trades based on how our new candles form.

I appreciate your time.

Best Regards,
João Valério

if the strategy is ready to trade then mql5 

otherwise the pytorch + aws is very appealing and superior for optimization if you choose python but also more expensive.

Having custom bar structures means you'll need to deploy custom test algorithms .

If you'll try to use the GPU for the strategy tester you will need to tailor OpenCL kernels to your test.

In contrast pytorch is widely supported and documented and ready to go in AWS 

edit :

*Theres also the mql cloud which is what aws is more expensive than