All cores disabled for optimizing?

In general, my performance with backtesting and optimizing got worse and worse since I started with MQL5, but for some reason, since 2 days, some cores have just been disabled out of nowhere and get auto-disabled when I enable them again. Today, when I tried to optimize something, all my cores got disabled, and nothing worked anymore.

My code has not really changed that much and isn't really long either.

I have a 12th Gen Intel i7-12700KF, and on Windows, I have all 20 cores enabled with a max memory of 256GB.

I didn't have any more programs running than at the beginning, and all my caches are empty.

Just today, it was so bad that it took 17 minutes for a normal backtest of 6 months, something that took me just a few seconds in the beginning.

If all your cores got disabled you wouldn't have a running computer, so something here isn't adding up.

What I suspect is you've changed something like "tick data" to "tick data based on real ticks" as the former can usually be done in a few seconds while the latter will take much longer.

It's also possible that your optimization can only use one core. If you're optimizing just one parameter then only one core gets used as using multiple cores involves splitting the data set. If your optimization is testing say the best SL between 10 and 20 pips with a 1 step, only one core is used. If you add TP between 10 and 20 pips with a 1 step, now two cores are used. If you then add days to trade, 3 cores are used. There's a good chance you're only optimizing one thing at a time, being that previous things were already optimized, and that's why only one core is being used now.

James McKnight #:

"tick data based on real ticks"

just one parameter

I do use real ticks, but I have to or my result is very wrong. But yeah I always used it so that cant be it.

I do also optimize more than one parameter, but even if I would, then there would at least be one core active ... but they are all disabled.

thx for the help tho.