Can every strategy be coded as an EA?

Hey, I know many people would tell me to post a freelance order and see if any developers accept it and are able to achieve what I want. I currently have no money but I plan to sell one of my belongings to fund the development of the EA. I just wanted to know if it can be coded or not or if there are strategies that can't be coded before I sell me belongings that I need in my daily life. It's a simple strategy based on ICT's orders block and premium and discount, it basically trades patterns on an uptrend/downtrend.

Aymane Maizi:
I currently have no money but I plan to sell one of my belongings to fund the development of the EA.

This is a very bad idea. Do not order development if the cost of development is too expensive for you. Only the money that you don’t mind losing without receiving any benefits. Consider it an investment in research. Research that may not bring any financial benefit, but only costs.

Vladislav Boyko #:

This is a very bad idea. Do not order development if the cost of development is too expensive for you. Only the money that you don’t mind losing without receiving any benefits. Consider it an investment in research. Research that may not bring any financial benefit, but only costs.

I know it's a bad idea but the strategy seems to work in backtest so I thought it's worth the risk. Thanks for your reply.

Aymane Maizi #:
strategy seems to work in backtest

A strategy working in backtest mode proves nothing unless you are well familiar with the complexities of algo-trading and backtesting. There are quite a lot of threads in this forum that discuss it.

Aymane Maizi #:

I know it's a bad idea but the strategy seems to work in backtest so I thought it's worth the risk. Thanks for your reply.

It is still a bad idea for a LOT of reasons - markets may change and your strategy will stop working; if you lose all of your savings, you may not recover from it; backtesting a strategy manually may be different than backtesting with an EA; etc. Don't do this, you'll just lose money.

Aymane Maizi:
si

If you can provide clear, black or white, non subjective rules then everything can be coded.

If you tell the developer  
I am looking for uptrend,downtrend,range , higher highs, lower lows.

I am looking for previous support,resistance.

And you don't give any information on how you determine the above other than say I am looking at a chart.

Then the above cannot be coded because is subjective. Each person looking at a chart may make a different decission.

If you don't have your rules written down in a way that every time someone follows them they will always make the same decision as you do then you 
don't have a strategy  yet.

MQL5 forum
MQL5 forum
  • www.mql5.com
MQL5: Forum on automated trading systems and strategy testing

Emanuel Cavalcante Amorim Filho #:

It is still a bad idea for a LOT of reasons - markets may change and your strategy will stop working; if you lose all of your savings, you may not recover from it; backtesting a strategy manually may be different than backtesting with an EA; etc. Don't do this, you'll just lose money.

Ok man, I'll only use money I can afford to lose then. Thanks.

Michalis Phylactou #:

If you can provide clear, black or white, non subjective rules then everything can be coded.

If you tell the developer  
I am looking for uptrend,downtrend,range , higher highs, lower lows.

I am looking for previous support,resistance.

And you don't give any information on how you determine the above other than say I am looking at a chart.

Then the above cannot be coded because is subjective. Each person looking at a chart may make a different decission.

If you don't have your rules written down in a way that every time someone follows them they will always make the same decision as you do then you 
don't have a strategy  yet.

Of course I have my strategy written in detail with chart screenshot examples. I take your answer as a yes then. Thanks :)

Can every strategy be coded? Answer is yes. But i have a friend who cant explain it mathematically or he does not have any logic which can be something a computer can understand then its not possible to code this. So the skills of explanation in a way computer or coder may understand is necessary.

If a user lack this skill then its impossible to code.
Psychology can be also coded if its explanatory.

I used to wonder with same question when i did not know programming.

Rajesh Kumar Nait #:
Can every strategy be coded? Answer is yes. But i have a friend who cant explain it mathematically or he does not have any logic which can be something a computer can understand then its not possible to code this. So the skills of explanation in a way computer or coder may understand is necessary.

If a user lack this skill then its impossible to code.
Psychology can be also coded if its explanatory.

I used to wonder with same question when i did not know programming.

Alright, thanks.