What happens if I stop updating my MT5 Client?

I have an EA I like, running on the current version of MT5 and it's performing well.

I'm keen to lock it down and avoid changes to anything (OS, MT5 Client or the EA)... but what happens if I stop the MT5 updates? Will it still operate on into the future or is there a corresponding MT5 server the MT5 client communicates with and if so, will compatibility be maintained or will become unreliable at some point?

Cheers

Nigel Kelly:

I have an EA I like, running on the current version of MT5 and it's performing well.

I'm keen to lock it down and avoid changes to anything (OS, MT5 Client or the EA)... but what happens if I stop the MT5 updates? Will it still operate on into the future or is there a corresponding MT5 server the MT5 client communicates with and if so, will compatibility be maintained or will become unreliable at some point?

Cheers

You may manage to avoid updates for some time, but it cannot last forever. 

Nigel Kelly:
but what happens if I stop the MT5 updates?

Your broker's MT5 servers require a minimum build version, and this is usually only one or two releases behind the latest build version.

If your (frozen) MT5 build is too old, you won't be able to connect to your trading account. 

So if you want a stable trading environment, let the updates happen.

I also highly recommend updating your OS regularly for safety reasons.

Nigel Kelly:

Cheers

You can use for some time without update. But sooner or later you would have some  problems on the broker side.

Nigel Kelly:

Cheers

I've made this test, I did not allow one instance of MT5 to upgrade, using a demo account. As others have said, after some time it will just stop working.

The demo account using the old version of MT5 got disconnected one day and was not able to reconnect. After updating MT5, it reconnected without problems.

Rafael Grecco #:

I've made this test, I did not allow one instance of MT5 to upgrade, using a demo account. As others have said, after some time it will just stop working.

The demo account using the old version of MT5 got disconnected one day and was not able to reconnect. After updating MT5, it reconnected without problems.

Thank you Rafael, that exactly answers my question!

Turns out the stopping updates is prohibited in the User Agreement as well as stops it from running.

Updating will be left on :)

You get a knock on the door by some not so friendly guys in black suits who are carrying a bottle of wine and a vial of poison.
Now are you willing to take the risk?

What I do is I back up the installation of an MT5 version that I know works perfectly, so if one update in the future ever makes things go sideways, I'll still have that version backed up

Vladislav Boyko #:

[Translated via Google Translate]

Форум по трейдингу, автоматическим торговым системам и тестированию торговых стратегий

Новая версия платформы MetaTrader 5 build 4230: больше встроенных приложений и расширение поддержки ONNX

Renat Fatkhullin, 2024.03.12 18:14

Take into account that hundreds of people pump out 5,000 - 50,000 updates per week from one computer.

And this goes on for months. They create many different farms.

This is detrimental to both our infrastructure and the brokerage infrastructure. It’s time to stop this.

This is the reason for possible bans for blocking updates.

I've never blocked updates, so I don't know how exactly this works. If you want to know the details, you can go read that topic using a translator.