Could simplicity win against complexity in EA programming? - page 2

Conor Mcnamara #:

I will definitely take that advice going forward. I know what you mean by all the iterations. To complete one EA feels like you created 100 EAs. I found out how delicate it can be as well and easy to destroy when there there are multiple boolean states all over the place and removing one can have consequences when it gets difficult to keep track of the logic. It's no doubt that the more experience you have the stronger you can become at this. That is if you seek to improve on past results each time (and take the insights you learned with you along the way). It can be a huge headache in the beginning lol.

You are completely right. When I started to learn how to use MQL5, I would need a few days to make simple EAs, changing functions, testing what was working, what wasn't...

Today, when I have a new idea, I can make simple EAs in a couple of minutes without any iteration, I just know how it should be structured to work on my head, without the need of testing each step.

I think coding EAs is 50% market knowledge and 50% coding experience. As you get experience with MQL5 language, you start to think on new ways to trade that would only work on a EA, strategies that would be impossible to make manually (complex algorithms, calculations, etc).

Good luck on your endeavour! I hope you are successfull.