Techniques for Pausing Trading : Seeking Community Insights

Dear Community,

I am currently seeking a robust solution to suspend trading activities for risk management purposes across multiple accounts. After thorough research, I have compiled a list of potential options, which I would appreciate your expertise in verifying and refining:

1. Putting the account on "Read Only Mode", thereby halting all trading activities even in the event of password changes.
2. Implementing changes to account credentials, such as passwords, to cease trading operations.
3. Revoking API access to prevent third-party services from executing trades.
4. Closing terminals to halt EA and MQL5 signal trading.
5. Disabling Algo Trading functionality to prevent EAs from initiating trades.
6. Deploying an EA capable of autonomously closing all pending and market orders.

While the option of changing passwords poses a notable risk, particularly across multiple accounts, I am keen to explore additional methods that may offer enhanced security measures.
In my assessment, the most challenging aspect lies in halting third-party services, such as cloud-based copy trading platforms, due to their independent nature and lack of direct control from MT5 terminals. Managing these services effectively may necessitate leveraging APIs for automation.
I am eager to solicit the insights of this esteemed community regarding any alternative methods for suspending trading activities. Additionally, I am keen to identify the optimal approach for seamlessly resuming trading operations post-suspension, ensuring that EAs, signal allocations, and other configurations are reinstated to their prior states.

Your collective wisdom and expertise are valuable, and I am grateful for any guidance or suggestions you may offer on this matter.

David Pendragon:
Dear Community,

I am currently seeking a robust solution to suspend trading activities for risk management purposes across multiple accounts. After thorough research, I have compiled a list of potential options, which I would appreciate your expertise in verifying and refining:

1. Putting the account on "Read Only Mode", thereby halting all trading activities even in the event of password changes.
2. Implementing changes to account credentials, such as passwords, to cease trading operations.
6. Deploying an EA capable of autonomously closing all pending and market orders.

While the option of changing passwords poses a notable risk, particularly across multiple accounts, I am keen to explore additional methods that may offer enhanced security measures.
In my assessment, the most challenging aspect lies in halting third-party services, such as cloud-based copy trading platforms, due to their independent nature and lack of direct control from MT5 terminals. Managing these services effectively may necessitate leveraging APIs for automation.I am eager to solicit the insights of this esteemed community regarding any alternative methods for suspending trading activities. Additionally, I am keen to identify the optimal approach for seamlessly resuming trading operations post-suspension, ensuring that EAs, signal allocations, and other configurations are reinstated to their prior states.

Your collective wisdom and expertise are valuable, and I am grateful for any guidance or suggestions you may offer on this matter.

Hello, good question and let me address it with the scope of my experience and knowledge.

1- To start with, it is not advisable to intervine the operations of EAs. It is becasue we use bots in order that we don't mess with our personal toughts on a particular trading.

2- If your account is under pressure, it is most likely due to either you don't manage your risk properly and/or the EAs are not well parameterized or optimised.

Referring to your question, I can say it is usually not good idea to change the parameters of the bots during operations. Thefore, you can simply apply NO:5 :

"Disabling Algo Trading functionality to prevent EAs from initiating trades."

If you want to disable some EAs instead of all  just uncheck "algo trading" box in the general settings of that particular EA.

Hope this helps, good luck. 

David Pendragon:
Dear Community,

In my assessment, the most challenging aspect lies in halting third-party services, such as cloud-based copy trading platforms, due to their independent nature and lack of direct control from MT5 terminals. Managing these services effectively may necessitate leveraging APIs for automation.
I am eager to solicit the insights of this esteemed community regarding any alternative methods for suspending trading activities. Additionally, I am keen to identify the optimal approach for seamlessly resuming trading operations post-suspension, ensuring that EAs, signal allocations, and other configurations are reinstated to their prior states.

Suspend the network connection on the server

Evren Caglar #:

Hello, good question and let me address it with the scope of my experience and knowledge.

1- To start with, it is not advisable to intervine the operations of EAs. It is becasue we use bots in order that we don't mess with our personal toughts on a particular trading.

2- If your account is under pressure, it is most likely due to either you don't manage your risk properly and/or the EAs are not well parameterized or optimised.

Referring to your question, I can say it is usually not good idea to change the parameters of the bots during operations. Thefore, you can simply apply NO:5 :

"Disabling Algo Trading functionality to prevent EAs from initiating trades."

If you want to disable some EAs instead of all  just uncheck "algo trading" box in the general settings of that particular EA.

Hope this helps, good luck. 

The goal is to implement a mechanism where, upon reaching a specified drawdown (DD), all open positions and pending orders are closed, and trading from all sources is halted. I placed disabling algorithmic trading in the fifth position because it only suspends Expert Advisors (EAs) and does not affect MQL5 signals or third-party services. Therefore, it is not entirely effective on its own.

Sardion Maranatha #:
Suspend the network connection on the server
Thank you for your interesting take on suspending network connections as a method to halt trading activities. While this approach is valuable, it will not work with third-party services that operate independently of the MT5 terminal.

Could you provide guidance on how to smoothly resume trading after suspending network services? Specifically, is it possible for the account owner to manage or delete certain EAs or MQL5 signals before reconnecting to ensure a controlled restart of trading activities? Or does everything automatically resume to its prior state once the connection is restored?

David Pendragon #:
The goal is to implement a mechanism where, upon reaching a specified drawdown (DD), all open positions and pending orders are closed, and trading from all sources is halted. I placed disabling algorithmic trading in the fifth position because it only suspends Expert Advisors (EAs) and does not affect MQL5 signals or third-party services. Therefore, it is not entirely effective on its own.
The simplest solution is to use common file area and maintain a control file that each ea/account reads and acts accordingly 

Paul Anscombe #:
The simplest solution is to use common file area and maintain a control file that each ea/account reads and acts accordingly 
Paul, could you provide more details about the solution you mentioned? Can you elaborate on how using a common file area and maintaining a control file would work in practice for controlling drawdown on the accounts? Additionally, I'd like to know if this method is applicable to Expert Advisors without access to the source code, and if it could be integrated with signals from MQL5 and third-party services. Your clarification would be greatly appreciated.

David Pendragon #:
Whatever you do you will need source code access
And need to be a competent programmer that can design the required solution. Controlling multiple ac EAs would be easy. But your wish list is changing you need to define exactly what you want then get somebody to design and program it 

Paul Anscombe #:
Whatever you do you will need source code access
And need to be a competent programmer that can design the required solution. Controlling multiple ac EAs would be easy. But your wish list is changing you need to define exactly what you want then get somebody to design and program it 

Paul, what you're saying is irrelevant and doesn't address my questions. We don't always have access to the source code of an Expert Advisor. Either provide a detailed explanation of how the common file area and control file solution works in practice, including its compatibility with MQL5 signals and third-party services, or let's end this. Your current answer is not helpful.

David Pendragon #:
Thank you for your interesting take on suspending network connections as a method to halt trading activities. While this approach is valuable, it will not work with third-party services that operate independently of the MT5 terminal.

Could you provide guidance on how to smoothly resume trading after suspending network services? Specifically, is it possible for the account owner to manage or delete certain EAs or MQL5 signals before reconnecting to ensure a controlled restart of trading activities? Or does everything automatically resume to its prior state once the connection is restored?

unloading other EAs programmatically is not possible but you're guaranteed no trading executions during the network suspension done by EAs or instructed by trading signals.

you could build EA, that will read terminal global variable set by other EA on DD threshold breach for example, that will turn on windows firewall via windows API blocking MT5 transmitting/receiving connections rather than complete network suspension.

David Pendragon #:
To be honest you are talking a load of rubbish. How do you expect to control anything without source code access.  You are simply looking to use brute force to break it not control it.  For instance How do you expect to remove pending orders by shutting the network? They are already on the brokers side !!!!  you clearly do not have the required skills or know how and quite frankly you are now being damn rude and sound like all the other wanna be fund managers