Not happy :(

What can be done when I have accepted and paid for a freelancer job but am now not happy with what I have got ... Yes I should have conducted more rigorous tests

Is there a "cooling off" or "guarantee" period ?

This is a common feeling among freelance customers. One cannot judge what the cause of your feeling is. However you can study topics around using freelance services to have a better experience in future.

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/461344

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/457686

How to recognize and choose the best and professional developer when posting a job in freelance
How to recognize and choose the best and professional developer when posting a job in freelance
  • KagisoEdd
  • www.mql5.com
I have been having enraging experiences here on mql5...

I don't know how much you paid them, but you might consider it the cost of experience.

Personally, I take the time to write a detailed specification file with requirements against which I test the code. You need to then take the time to painstakingly check every calculation, entry, exit, etc. Check the journal for errors... only you can decide that the job has been done to your satisfaction. Once you say it's complete, it's done.

In future, add a checklist of things that you are going to test to the job description so that the coder knows in advance against what he will be judged. The more precise your checklist the better. If he dosn't think his work will stand up to scrutiny, he won't bid (ideally...), and if there is a problem you will have a much easier time in arbitration as the developer cannot claim that you changed the rules.

A final point: assume nothing. Anything you leave to interpretation, however small, may hurt you. If that means also appending 20 pages of definitions of terms*, then so be it. Write it out once, and you'll have it forever :)

(*just don't make a mistake!)

I had hoped MQL5 holding the freelancers money for two weeks after completion MIGHT have been in case of problems

Robert Jenkins #:
I had hoped MQL5 holding the freelancers money for two weeks after completion MIGHT have been in case of problems

Not that kind of problem. Pass your complaints to the developer in question, pointing out your grievances, with the code you received, asking if it could be fixed. Am sure he/she would sort it out.

Robert Jenkins:

What can be done when I have accepted and paid for a freelancer job but am now not happy with what I have got ... Yes I should have conducted more rigorous tests

Is there a "cooling off" or "guarantee" period ?

Well as you said, you accepted it, and paid for it. The best will be to not accept in the first place if you are not satisfied. Talking to the coder might help, explain your concern, and why you are not satisfied. Did you receive a demo to test before you paid or?

Thank you all for your inputs ... appreciated :)