MT4 EA capacity and reliability

Hi guys!

I'm setting up a demo account and I'm preparing about 90 EAs. I'm using a third party EA generator that is able to set multiple strategies on the same file. Each EA will have about 10 strategies. In other words, there will be 90 charts and EAs running but actually about 900 strategies. They call it Portfolio EA. The goal is to keep track of the results and allocate the best strategies on a real account.

Do any of you have experience with anything similar? I'm afraid MT4 might start skipping orders or just crash or stop working somehow, and I'm also afraid there's no way I can find out if an order was supposed to be placed but wasn't.

Is it a matter of having enough memory? I'm using a VPS with only 1.5 GB of RAM. Don't know if it would be best to raise it up a little.

Anyone?

Roni Lenhardt:

Hi guys!

I'm setting up a demo account and I'm preparing about 90 EAs. I'm using a third party EA generator that is able to set multiple strategies on the same file. Each EA will have about 10 strategies. In other words, there will be 90 charts and EAs running but actually about 900 strategies. They call it Portfolio EA. The goal is to keep track of the results and allocate the best strategies on a real account.

Do any of you have experience with anything similar? I'm afraid MT4 might start skipping orders or just crash or stop working somehow, and I'm also afraid there's no way I can find out if an order was supposed to be placed but wasn't.

Difficult to say as we don't know exactly how much the EA needs to compute.  Your fear sounds justified.  You probably would want to do 10 EAs split across 9 terminals.  Or 18-20 EAs split across 5 terminals.   You must experiment with this.

Roni Lenhardt:

Is it a matter of having enough memory? I'm using a VPS with only 1.5 GB of RAM. Don't know if it would be best to raise it up a little.

You will likely need 4 processors minimum and 4GB RAM minimum.  1GB will be just for the win2012 OS (or I guess now Win2019).  You will likely need 1.5-2gb to run those terminals and other auxiliary scripts.  And the remaining 1.0GB is to have enough room so you can remote in via RDP / AnyDesk and/or during volatile conditions.

You might see your grand idea may not work so well in practice...or may require reconfiguration to make it work.   This is part of the learning process I suppose.  At least you seem to be scientific about setting things up, which is a good start.

Keep your terminal lean:

launch all terminals in /portable mode

max bars in chart = 5000 or smallest you need to make EA work.

----

What kind of budget are you working with here?

Hi Joshua, thanks for your attention!

What I just decided to do is to start a new VPS to run some tests. What I intend to do is to set one MT4 running everything I have now (about 40 EAs with around 10 strategies each, 400 strategies total).

I will also divide the same 40 EAs in 4 sets and start other 4 MT4s running 10 EAs (100 strategies each).

I'll keep track of the operations and compare if anything is going wrong.

----

What exactly do you mean by budget? You mean monthly to try to make it work or you mean the amount I have to invest?

I'm willing to spend a couple hundred bucks a month to test everything cause I really think it can work.