mql5 website not loading on my laptop - page 2

did you install or try out any new firewall or ad block software? or a custom made, chrome-derived, browser? Any of these may have added mtx ip addresses into the HOSTS file. And uninstalling them does NOT guarantee that any changes they made will remove all changes to original condition.

Thank you all so much  I did what  Shalem Loritsch instructed to do and i now have MQL5 back on my laptop.  Thank you everone who took the time to help me get this issue fixed it is greatly appreciated

Question remains: what modified the HOSTS file in the first place ?

Soewono Effendi #Question remains: what modified the HOSTS file in the first place ?

It is not about modifying it. Just leave it as default (reset it).

How to reset the Hosts file back to the default
Microsoft
Microsoft
  • support.microsoft.com
This article helps you reset the Hosts file back to the default. What's the Hosts file The Hosts file is used by the operating system to map human-friendly hostnames to numerical Internet Protocol (IP) addresses which identify and locate a host in an IP network. The hosts file is one of several system resources that address network nodes in a...

Miguel Angel Vico Alba #:

It is not about modifying it. Just leave it as default (reset it).

How to reset the Hosts file back to the default

that will work until whatever modified the HOSTS file, then does it again! (re inserts the MQ ips into the HOSTS file, once again)

But weirdly enough, this is at least the 3rd thread i have responded to that has 100% same issue. But not 1 of these 3 ops will give any ideas to what they installed that might have done this. 1 said a specific date when the HOSTS file had been edited last, but gave no response when asked about what programs they had running or had tested around that date.

Shalem Loritsch #:

I was just helping someone else with this same issue (website appearing as text only, affecting a specific PC but not other devices on the same Internet connection) on another thread.  Turned out his PC's HOSTS file was poisoned with entries specifically blocking all MetaQuotes domains.  To check your PC's HOSTS file, press [Windows] + [R], type "notepad drivers\etc\hosts", and press [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [Shift] + [Enter].  Confirm launching Notepad as Administrator if asked.  Normally, its contents should appear exactly as shown in this box:

If your HOSTS file has entries naming domains like mql5.com or c.mql5.com and directing them to 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0, this is the problem.  To restore your HOSTS file to default, copy the text in the box above to your clipboard, go back to Notepad, press [Ctrl] + [A], then [Ctrl] + [V], then close Notepad and confirm you wish to save the file.  If you get an access denied error or a Save As dialog, save the edited HOSTS file to your desktop and then manually move it to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc", replacing the existing HOSTS file already there.  This should fix the issue right away.  If it keeps coming back, there are tools we can use in realtime to try to track down what software is responsible for the unauthorized changes to that file.  Considering the uniqueness of such a change and now several users with this issue around the same time, I'm wondering if they accidentally released a test beta version back in mid-December blocking the Windows DNS Client from resolving their sites in order to test their own DNS resolution system (which their software has used for years instead of the standard Windows DNS resolution APIs).  Of course, once such a change is applied to the HOSTS file, it becomes permanent until reverted even if you're no longer running the offending software.

This solved the problem for me and showed me I had some crazy stuff lurking in there thank you

Shalem Loritsch #:

I was just helping someone else with this same issue (website appearing as text only, affecting a specific PC but not other devices on the same Internet connection) on another thread.  Turned out his PC's HOSTS file was poisoned with entries specifically blocking all MetaQuotes domains.  To check your PC's HOSTS file, press [Windows] + [R], type "notepad drivers\etc\hosts", and press [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [Shift] + [Enter].  Confirm launching Notepad as Administrator if asked.  Normally, its contents should appear exactly as shown in this box:

If your HOSTS file has entries naming domains like mql5.com or c.mql5.com and directing them to 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0, this is the problem.  To restore your HOSTS file to default, copy the text in the box above to your clipboard, go back to Notepad, press [Ctrl] + [A], then [Ctrl] + [V], then close Notepad and confirm you wish to save the file.  If you get an access denied error or a Save As dialog, save the edited HOSTS file to your desktop and then manually move it to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc", replacing the existing HOSTS file already there.  This should fix the issue right away.  If it keeps coming back, there are tools we can use in realtime to try to track down what software is responsible for the unauthorized changes to that file.  Considering the uniqueness of such a change and now several users with this issue around the same time, I'm wondering if they accidentally released a test beta version back in mid-December blocking the Windows DNS Client from resolving their sites in order to test their own DNS resolution system (which their software has used for years instead of the standard Windows DNS resolution APIs).  Of course, once such a change is applied to the HOSTS file, it becomes permanent until reverted even if you're no longer running the offending software.

WHAT A LEGEND!!!!!!!

I've spent hours trying to fix this and missed winning trades. Instantly fixed once I cleared the hosts file.

Anyone know how the hosts file got that stuff added?

Soewono Effendi #:
Question remains: what modified the HOSTS file in the first place ?
Hugosway made a change in protocol in early Dec. Issue probably happened then. My host file showed a change on 12/18. I’m good now. Thank you to you all for the info. This thing had my head spinning. 

Thanks  Shalem Loritsch this worked!!!