Backtesting EA on a live account?

Novice question for sure but... am i able to safely backtest on a live account?

It strikes me the spread is different between account types from the same broker, and i want to test against actual historical data from the data stream yhat i would be using.

I assume Id choose an historic time frame (i.e. not right up to current) in case it opened an actual trade while testing

I understand there will still be variability on trade execution time and assumptions that trades will close at the nominated prices but is there anything else i need to consider or be careful of?

Cheers
N

The strategy tester will never open any actual trades on your trading account, you can safely test up to now.

You will get the best results if you use the MT5 strategy tester, having logged into a real trading account, because it will download historical tick data from the real broker server and your results will be as trustworthy as possible.

Eleni Anna Branou #:

The strategy tester will never open any actual trades on your trading account, you can safely test up to now.

You will get the best results if you use the MT5 strategy tester, having logged into a real trading account, because it will download historical tick data from the real broker server and your results will be as trustworthy as possible.

Thank you, thats what I needed to know.