Sell an indicator for the strategy tester - page 2

Daniele Nerstini #:
Ok, I got what you are saying. Then, I could, for example, limit the program functionality only to the day before so the user will be able to see only one day for every day and not 10 days in a day. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah well if you are doing it per day then you will create the condition you intended to avoid i think

Daniele Nerstini #: As you said, Fernando, I asked the Service Desk for permissions. In the meantime I wrote this line to limit the demo and free versions. Do you reckon it could work?

and in OnCalculate

Why do you have an OnCalculate()?

I know you mentioned that it was an Indicator, but indicators cannot place trades, so how exactly are you placing trades in the Strategy Tester with an indicator?

Do you mean to state that your utility keeps track of "virtual trades" and does not actually trade anything in the Strategy Tester?

Fernando Carreiro #:

Why do you have an OnCalculate()?

I know you mentioned that it was an Indicator, but indicators cannot place trades, so how exactly are you placing trades in the Strategy Tester with an indicator.

Do you mean to state that your utility keeps track of "virtual trades" and does not actually trade anything in the Strategy Tester?

Yes Fernando, everything is simulated as I intended it. The user has to take care of 1000 points or other preferred points value that is the capital. The indicator also simulates stop losses that can be moved during the trades, the capital is constantly updated and so do are the points that the user is gaining or losing during a trade. The interaction is by using some keyboard keys to buy, sell or close and arrow keys to move the lines.

Daniele Nerstini #: Yes Fernando, everything is simulated as I intended it. The user has to take care of 1000 points or other preferred points value that is the capital. The indicator also simulates stop losses that can be moved during the trades, the capital is constantly updated and so do are the points that the user is gaining or losing during a trade. The interaction is by using some keyboard keys to buy, sell or close and arrow keys to move the lines.

Why simulate everything in an Indicator, when the Strategy Tester already does that, including floating spread, commissions, swaps, delays, etc.?

You loose all the benefits of the Strategy Tester, including reports, statistics and metrics, etc.

Why complicate things with "virtual trades", which restricts functionality, instead of just making a normal "utility" EA and relying on the underlying features of the Strategy Tester?

That makes no sense!

You can achieve all you have mentioned and much more with "actual trades" in the Strategy Tester using an "utility" EA.

Fernando Carreiro #:

Why simulate everything in an Indicator, when the Strategy Tester already does that, including floating spread, commissions, swaps, delays, etc.?

You loose all the benefits of the Strategy Tester, including reports, statistics and metrics, etc.

Why complicate things with "virtual trades", which restricts functionality, instead of just making a normal "utility" EA and relying on the underlying features of the Strategy Tester?

That makes no sense!

You can achieve all you have mentioned and much more with "actual trades" in the Strategy Tester using an "utility" EA.

And you will also be in the right category as this is in no way an indicator

Fernando Carreiro #:

That makes no sense!

Yes, you're right. But this is just a little game without any sofistication. The trades allowed are only one at a time, buy or sell, no multiple positions, the spread can be customized, there is no money buy only points. Perhaps in the future I'll try to develop something more sofisticated as you are saying. However, I reckon it very useful to experiment on visual trading of any kind, I've personally used it many hours.

Daniele Nerstini #: Yes, you're right. But this is just a little game without any sofistication. The trades allowed are only one at a time, buy or sell, no multiple positions, the spread can be customized, there is no money buy only points. Perhaps in the future I'll try to develop something more sofisticated as you are saying. However, I reckon it very useful to experiment on visual trading of any kind, I've personally used it many hours.

Then why would anyone buy your restricted "game indicator" when there is already a free, full-pledged, trading panel "utility EA" for the Strategy Tester on the Market?

Who would pay money for an "apple" when the whole "apple tree" is already available for free?

It would only make sense to sell it if you offered a better product with more functionality than the free one, not less.

Fernando Carreiro #:

Then why would anyone buy your restricted "game indicator" when there is already a free, full-pledged, trading panel "utility EA" for the Strategy Tester on the Market?

Who would pay money for an "apple" when the whole "apple tree" is already available for free?

It would only make sense to sell it if you offered a better product with more functionality than the free one, not less.

I searched for "utility EA" in the market place but didn't find it. Do you have a link? I would like to look at it. Thank you Fernando

Daniele Nerstini #: I searched for "utility EA" in the market place but didn't find it. Do you have a link? I would like to look at it. Thank you Fernando

Discussing specific products is not allowed on the forum. I will send you one link in private, but there are a few. Just use the keyword "tester" and filter it on the left menu panel to just "Utilities".

Ok, I found it. Yes, that's a very professional product well developed, nothing to say, although very complicated. Mine is very simple and intuitive, good for scalping, also very fast, being an indicator it doesn't need to wait for the tick to come. I don't know, perhaps no one will buy it, probably, for me its just an experience.