MT4 End Of Life - page 6

narco #:

I highly doubt it is due to being 'richer' since MT4 and MT5 are both free to use. It would likely suggest a lack of confidence that the MT4 platform isn't going to get rug pulled by Metaquotes at any moment. 

Do we yet know what MT4 "End of Life / Unsupported" means on the broker side with these products?

MetaTrader 4 Server

MetaTrader 4 Administrator 

MetaTrader 4 Manager 

MetaTrader 4 Data Center 

I don't know what their alternatives are at the moment . 

But the alternative solution that would be "steps into the future" ahead of meta trader does not exist yet .

So the brokers will weigh that in , the closest thing to mt4 is mt5 , absent mt4 the crowd will go to mt5 so they will get an mt5 license.

I also don't know how these things work , does the license expire , etc

Vladislav Boyko #:

In the simple case that I talked about, when changing the timeframe, OnInit of the new indicator can be executed earlier than OnDeinit of the old copy.

Try this solution.
Init_Sync
Init_Sync
  • www.mql5.com
The library makes indicators' Init/Deinit synchronized

narco:

Personally, I vote for the death of MT4.

I'll try to explain my point of view.

Any MT4 program can be ported to MT5, but not vice versa. The fact that your ported code began to work slower on MT5 is a known problem (very slowness of some functions on MT5, mainly ChartGet and ChartSet), which is easy to fix and your code will work several times faster than on MT4. You just need to know how to do it. I consider this the biggest semantic bug of MT5 related to the organization of asynchronous work in the terminal, and if MQ fixes this bug, everyone will see a gigantic increase in the performance of many programs. But, I repeat, this can be cured, or rather, this semantic bug can be minimized.

In recent years, I wrote everything on MT5, and then ported this code to MT4 and this was always a big pain, since MT4 is very limited in its capabilities. This mainly concerns data history, especially tick history. Now my projects have reached such a level that I simply cannot port them to MT4. This is no longer possible. In MT5 I can tell everything about a broker by studying its tick history and refuse it until the moment I start real trading; in MT4 I cannot do that.

Also, all your statements about hundreds of thousands of MT4 users, a larger code base and more interest in MT4 are simply not true, or rather it was true many years ago.

Nikolai Semko #:

Any MT4 program can be ported to MT5, but not vice versa. The fact that your ported code began to work slower on MT5 is a known problem (very slowness of some functions on MT5, mainly ChartGet and ChartSet), which is easy to fix and your code will work several times faster than on MT4. You just need to know how to do it. I consider this the biggest semantic bug of MT5 related to the organization of asynchronous work in the terminal, and if MQ fixes this bug, everyone will see a gigantic increase in the performance of many programs. But, I repeat, this can be cured, or rather, this semantic bug can be minimized.

In recent years, I wrote everything on MT5, and then ported this code to MT4 and this was always a big pain, since MT4 is very limited in its capabilities. This mainly concerns data history, especially tick history. Now my projects have reached such a level that I simply cannot port them to MT4. This is no longer possible. In MT5 I can tell everything about a broker by studying its tick history and refuse it until the moment I start real trading; in MT4 I cannot do that.

Also, all your statements about hundreds of thousands of MT4 users, a larger code base and more interest in MT4 are simply not true, or rather it was true many years ago.

I agree 100%. But you can't discuss with "believers", it's just a waste of time.

Alain Verleyen #:

I agree 100%. But you can't discuss with "believers", it's just a waste of time.

Hmm...Yes, the "Sect of the fourth MetaTrader" sounds plausible.

Nikolai Semko #:

I am not sure why anyone who is on MT5 (and satisfied) would vote for the death of MT4. What is the agenda? Secondly. Do we have data / analysis on:

1) How many users are there on MT4 compared to MT5 (globally).

2) Why are there so many more users on MT4 compared to MT5?

3) Why have they not migrated to MT4? What are the main themes and reasons?

4) What is the collateral damage that's going to be caused by 'killing of MT4'.

That's at least where Metaquotes should start to get a grasp on what the impact is going to be. This needs to happen long before announcing the death of MT4.

Fernando Carreiro #:

finally

Does this conclude the end of MT4??

Dominik Egert #:
Does this conclude the end of MT4??

I asked in that thread. But I believe that with a 98% probability my question will remain unanswered.

That post talks about stopping support. And when I try to think logically, the question that arises in my mind is “Is MT4 currently supported?”

If MT4 is supported now, then I didn’t know about it and was confused in terms. If MT4 is not supported now then they can't stop support that doesn't exist.

[EDIT]

That is, I personally don’t understand what “stop support” means? Stopping updates or stopping work? If it is implied that updates will stop, then logically nothing will change for MT4.