SRV and DAT files - Connection Information For Live Servers

The software I am using in conjunction with both MT4 and MT5 takes either DAT files (MT5), or SRV files (MT4) containing the connection information for a particular server on a broker.
I am having very little success finding these files.  In fact, I have only found 2 of them, and both are for demo accounts on different brokers.

Where are these created?  Where is my best shot of finding them now?

I have installed probably 7 different installation packages for MT4 and MT5 today...they all contain INI files in the config folder...and the software I am trying to integrate with will not accept that format.

Thoughts?

David Cottle: The software I am using in conjunction with both MT4 and MT5 takes either DAT files (MT5), or SRV files (MT4) containing the connection information for a particular server on a broker. I am having very little success finding these files.  In fact, I have only found 2 of them, and both are for demo accounts on different brokers. Where are these created?  Where is my best shot of finding them now? I have installed probably 7 different installation packages for MT4 and MT5 today...they all contain INI files in the config folder...and the software I am trying to integrate with will not accept that format. Thoughts?

The server connection files are propriety files generated by MetaTrader as required, usually when accounts are registered or when a user is scanning for a particular broker.

On MetaTrader 5, those file are probably encrypted. They are not user files to be used by 3rd party tools.

Fernando Carreiro #:

The server connection files are propriety files generated by MetaTrader as required, usually when accounts are registered or when a user is scanning for a particular broker.

On MetaTrader 5, those file are probably encrypted. They are not user files to be used by 3rd party tools.

I hear what you are saying, but disagree on some points.
They clearly exist outside of MT4/MT5 because I have a couple of them that already work with the 3rd party program.  So clearly not encrypted...

Also, I suspect they are no longer generated by MT4/MT5 which is why I cannot find them anymore with any new installations for most of the brokers.  It would seem that the INI files have replaced the others.

David Cottle #:

I hear what you are saying, but disagree on some points

They clearly exist outside of MT4/MT5

Also, I suspect they are no longer generated by MT4/MT5 which is why I cannot find them anymore

1. All files exist outside the terminal. So what? That has nothing to do with user readable files or not. Only the files in the «DataFolder»\MQL* folder are user files.
  2. Make up your mind. Either they clearly exist or they clearly no longer exist.
  3. You can keep arguing, but it will change nothing.

David Cottle #: I hear what you are saying, but disagree on some points. They clearly exist outside of MT4/MT5 because I have a couple of them that already work with the 3rd party program.  So clearly not encrypted...

Also, I suspect they are no longer generated by MT4/MT5 which is why I cannot find them anymore with any new installations for most of the brokers.  It would seem that the INI files have replaced the others.

1. They are propriety files, and should they be used by 3rd party tools without express permission, you may be violating MetaQuotes terms of use for MetaTrader. So be careful!
  2. On MT4 (current official build 1370), the current file in question is "config\servers.ini" (binary file).
  3. On MT5 (current official build 3550), the current file in question is "config\servers.dat" (binary file).