iMA compared to tradingview -- This is not the same and so not reliable. - What do I do? - page 2

Fernando Carreiro #:

You are making a "dangerous" assumption that the Forex market is supposed to be centralised or uniform. It is not!

Brokers that are market makers or dealing desk create and manage their own liquidity for their customers (as they trade against them), while STP, ECN and non-dealing desk brokers draw upon larger external liquidity providers.

So which ever way you look at it, prices can vary from slightly different to downright incomparable.

Also, there is no such thing as "good data" in respect to the above. The more diverse the tests are against different data sources, the more you can test the resilience of your EA strategy against different conditions.

However, if your EA is too "curve-fitted" and dependant on a particular data set, then it will very quickly become unprofitable as soon as the conditions change, and it is guaranteed to change.

Thanks Fernando,

I am new to trading but not new to software development.  I like scientific testing.  Clearly this is not that.   I will need to rethink how I look at this.

even XXXXtone that has both a tradingview and mtx trading terminals, has different prices on each platform, despite their cs saying that they use the same data feed on both platforms. This is why I closed my account with them. Their prices are quite different.

oops. i edited the name of the broker so that no one whines about broker names being discussed.