Question about Magic Numbers (and managing manually-placed trades automatically)

Hi all,

I'm considering a strategy where I'm opening trades manually, but a trailing stoploss is managed by an EA. That seems easy enough, there appear to be plenty of EAs that can do that.

My question comes in when, say, I'm trading 2 different strategies on the same account, and on the same instrument.

All of these trades would be entered manually, but one set I want to manage 100% manually, and the other set I'd like to have managed automatically.

At first I thought maybe I can just add a Magic Number to certain trades after they've been opened, but that appears to not be possible.

Is there any way I can get this scenario working?

As you are opening the trades manually you won't be able to use the magic, but you could use the comment field to differentiate the strategies.

Otherwise why not use two different accounts?

R4tna C #:

As you are opening the trades manually you won't be able to use the magic, but you could use the comment field to differentiate the strategies.

Otherwise why not use two different accounts?

Thanks. I was looking into the use of comments.

The only problem with this is I'll be primarily placing trades on the iPhone app, and it doesn't appear possible to add comments while opening an order there. Unless I'm totally missing something? And it doesn't appear that comments can be edited retroactively on PC. Unless I'm missing something there too?

It may be that I'll look into using different accounts, but there are a few reasons that may not make best sense for me, also.

rrsch #:

Thanks. I was looking into the use of comments.

The only problem with this is I'll be primarily placing trades on the iPhone app, and it doesn't appear possible to add comments while opening an order there. Unless I'm totally missing something? And it doesn't appear that comments can be edited retroactively on PC. Unless I'm missing something there too?

It may be that I'll look into using different accounts, but there are a few reasons that may not make best sense for me, also.

I have not looked at the iPhone app - I was referring to the PC version.

Comments can't be changed later - they have to be entered when placing the order

You can use a script for placing manual orders… in this way magic number can be added and your ea will used it… 
For placing orders from mobile … use a vps that you can access  from your mobile… this way you can use the same script… 

Daniel Cioca #:
You can use a script for placing manual orders… in this way magic number can be added and your ea will used it… 
For placing orders from mobile … use a vps that you can access  from your mobile… this way you can use the same script… 

Great idea, thanks! I'll look into that.