Trailing TP - page 19

Roman Shiredchenko #:

I read somewhere that currency pairs generally have a flat (return) structure! You don't have to look at this pair - look at others...

So, yes - it's like in your trading robot - the TR trawl in your trading robot looks similar...

Yes, from the looks of it - that's exactly the kind of TC I use.

But, I have long been convinced that "pure" trawl TP is very, very dangerous. It's not a martin, but its behavior reminds me of it, especially on small timeframes. Therefore, it necessarily needs a protective SL. And this spoils all the beauty.

When re-optimizing systems with a TP trawl, I first determine all optimal parameters without a SL. Most systems in such cases give fantastic trading results up to 150%, the balance line is flat. Then I select a protective SL... and that's where it gets sad. Almost every system has equity drawdowns up to three day ranges and some of them have drawdowns up to ten day ranges. The average take has not exceeded 30% of a day range and often has as little as 10%.

Placing a protective SL within ten day ranges of the price is the same as working without an SL. I have long ago established a rule that the SL should not be set beyond the daily range, and in most cases I even set the SL at 90% of the daily range.

And that is where systems with a trawl TP go into a total downturn. Only a few percent of such systems retain high quality of trading with such a small SL. The vast majority dramatically reduces the quality and in the best case goes into "turbulence near zero". In the worst case it leads to heavy losses, almost to failure.

But if we purposely select such periods when the symbol is "calm" and there is only "sideways movement" - this system is a bomb. It'll always take the most "peaks" in price... until the first unguessable trend...

Georgiy Merts #:

Yes, from the looks of it - that's exactly the kind of TA I use.

But, I have long been convinced that a "pure" TP trawl is very, very dangerous. It's not a martin, but the behaviour is very similar to it, especially on small timeframes. Therefore, it necessarily needs a protective SL. And this spoils all the beauty.

When re-optimizing systems with a TP trawl, I first determine all optimal parameters without a SL. Most systems in such cases give fantastic trading results up to 150%, the balance line is flat. Then I select a protective SL... and that's where it gets sad. Almost every system has equity drawdowns up to three day ranges and some of them have drawdowns up to ten day ranges. The average take has not exceeded 30% of a day range and often has as little as 10%.

Placing a protective SL within ten day ranges of the price is the same as working without an SL. I have long ago established a rule that the SL should not be set beyond the daily range, and in most cases I even set the SL at 90% of the daily range.

And that is where systems with a trawl TP go into a total downturn. Only a few percent of such systems retain high quality of trading with such a small SL. The vast majority dramatically reduces the quality and in the best case goes into "turbulence near zero". In the worst case it leads to heavy losses, almost to failure.

But if we purposely select such periods when the symbol is "calm" and there is only "sideways movement" - this system is a bomb. It'll always take the most "peaks" in price... until the first unguessed trend...

yeah... by the way, that's how I ended up with a TR that went negative and closed with a big negative.

highlighted in bold - it's from a completely different direction... By the way, in my case that happened to me, it went down to minus twice, and I closed with a large loss. You can do SL as Elder has (he recommends 1.5 ATR or even 2 ATR - the daily period there is 22 - like a month).

P.S. George - and how is the trawl TR implemented in LIGA? Does it give the expected result in LIGA?

Aleksei Stepanenko #:

TrailingTakeProfit EA Ver1

I have not been lazy and made an EA with trailing takeprofit. The signal of the Expert Advisor is based on a simple principle: if the price after the last extremum has gone more than a specified number of points in the opposite direction, we believe that the trend has changed. There are two strategies in the Expert Advisor: trend and flat. One of them can be selected with the switch.

Trailing Take Profit can be added with one additional switch. Trailing has 2 parameters: the distance from takeprofit to the maximum candle (for Buy), and the number of last candles you are looking at. Why this trailing tactic? The fact is that this tactic proved to be the best for trailing stops in my time, when I experimented with it. And now, just reversed that trailing stop.

I don't see anything deadlocked about the idea of trailing a profit, but I have a question about the code.

if(!OrderSelect(eIterator,SELECT_BY_POS,MODE_TRADES)) continue;
      if(OrderCloseTime()>0) continue;

What is the meaning of the second line (it's from the open positions search function), if everything is defined in the first one?

Galim_V #:

I don't see anything dead-end in the idea of trailing profit, but I have a question about the code.

What is the purpose of the second line (in the function for searching for open positions), if everything is defined in the first one?

Sometimes already CLOSED orders with CloseTime()!=0 get into the MODE_TRADES set.

The second line checks for this very situation

Here's something I don't understand, where does the thought get lost in this thread? What does "trawling the TP" mean to many here? Is it like showing the price a TP with an idea like "take it down!" and as soon as it (the price) gets close, then you push the level jest further, like "oh, but you didn't catch it!". Then, of course, this is utopia - after all, you do not allow profit to go down and the order closes either in a loss on loss, or on the signal of the order in the opposite direction - such a trawl is not necessary in the hell - it, in fact, does not work at all.
Or is it still a pulling of the SL after the price when it has run away from this (pulled) level at some distance or has broken a virtual TP or some other signal in the system?

Shoker #:
Here's something I don't understand, where does the idea get lost in this thread?

There is no wandering around, the idea is simple. When the price moves into a larger loss-making zone, we move the takeprofit closer to the price. At other price movements, we do not change TakeProfit.

Aleksei Stepanenko #:

There is no wandering, the idea is simple. When the price moves into an increasingly unprofitable zone, we move the takeprofit closer to the price. At other price movements, we don't change TakeProfit.

Ohtanocho!

I used this system for a year and a half on Eurobucks. I only missed once, but I managed to make a withdrawal...

Shoker #:
Here's something I don't understand, where does the thought get lost in this thread? What does "trawling the TP" mean to many here? Is it like showing the price a TP with an idea like "take it down!" and as soon as it (the price) gets close, then you push the level jest further, like "oh, but you didn't catch it!". Then, of course, this is utopia - after all, you do not allow profit to go down and the order closes either in a loss on loss, or on the signal of the order in the opposite direction - such a trawl is not necessary in the hell - it, in fact, does not work at all.
Or is it still a pulling of the SL after the price when it has run away from this (pulled) level at some distance or has broken a virtual TP or some other signal in the system?

Here is the explanation:
https://www.mql5.com/ru/forum/381120#comment_25637295

Sergey Gridnev #:

Here was the explanation:
https://www.mql5.com/ru/forum/381120#comment_25637295

Is the price limited on one side only on the move, against the move, or on both sides? If on the move, by moving the TP into the loss zone we reduce the loss, and by moving the SL into the profit zone we reduce the profit. The price is reversed and in the loss zone we decrease losses using TP logic, while in the profit zone we catch and fix profit using SL.

Although I like the idea of limiting on both sides better. But the right ranges are tricky.

Shoker #:

stop being stupid - read everything more carefully, trawl TR ONLY one way - TO THE PRICE!