Selecting a computer configuration (expert optimisation a priority) - page 14

Georgiy Merts:

I've been reading more reviews... I'm interested in this one:

The figures are very suspiciously the same as mine. Despite Noctua NH-U14S cooler.

And now I'm wondering... Will replacing the cooler do any good ? These guys heated up the CPU to 96 degrees and claimed no trolling. But I didn't get up to that temperature with my cooler either...

what do you say, friends ?

friends will tell you there's not much to go on.

Georgiy Merts:

I've been reading more reviews... I'm interested in this one:

The figures are very suspiciously the same as mine. Despite Noctua NH-U14S cooler.

And now I'm wondering... Will replacing the cooler do any good ? These guys heated up the CPU to 96 degrees and claimed no trolling. But, I didn't reach such temperatures with my cooler either...

What do you say, friends?

Well, I read what many people write about need to scalp Intel, it's not news.

Whether there's a performance drop or not, only you can check it.

Well, I say that these people have played a couple of days and dismantled the PC, and you have it will run 24 hours a day (as I understand), for me so the cooler the iron, the more stable.

Yes, and, the temperature of different in general processor gives, well, there with each core, in aggregate, with the mother, I mean, are you sure that the same temperature we are talking about in the article and you?

Aleksey Vyazmikin:

If there is a drop in performance or not, only you can check it.

Well, I say that these citizens have played a couple of days and dismantled the PC, and you have it will run 24 hours a day (as I understand), for me the cooler the iron, the more stable.

Yes, and, the temperature of different in general processor gives, well, from each core, in conjunction with the mother, I mean, are you sure that the same temperature we are talking about in the article and you?

Yeah, that's right. Although, about 24 hours a day - it's not at maximum load...

Therefore I'm more and more inclined to stay with what I have - without any turbo boosts. Only switch it on when really needed, when "on fire", and do not use it in standard mode.

And, as my grandmother used to say, "God knows how to give birth to a poppy and how to starve to death".

Georgiy Merts:

Yeah, that's right. Although, about 24 hours a day - it's not under maximum load...

Therefore, I'm more and more inclined to stay with what we have - without any turbo boosts. Only switch it on when really needed, when "on fire", and do not use it in standard mode.

One should not look for the good, and, as my grandmother used to say, "God knows how to give birth to poppy and starve to death".

Well, to have a reserve in some sense is useful, maybe once you get stuck in productivity you will remember it and rejoice in such an opportunity!

Yes, I read the descriptions on the internet - if I had a CPU with the letter K - I would have all settings related to Turbo Boost (and to overclocking in general) unlocked in the BIOS. On Overclockers - several threads in the forum where people share their experiences with Turbo Boost control. Although, no one has the same board like I have, but, with the same chipset - there are, and all settings, which they say - I have. The only problem - I have them Read-Only. And for TurboBoost control I have to change them.

But, Intel wants very big money for K-line (I've already spent too much). But I'm not interested in all these overclocking experiments for a long time. So I took a CPU with "no letter". And now I have only two TurboBoost modes - either completely on, or completely off. Controlled both from BIOS and directly from Windows.

In Windows I've got turbo on (set max power mode to 100%), in BIOS I've disabled it, so I can control it only from BIOS (in Windows it takes too long to figure it out). Now my CPU is not optimized up to 70 degrees, which is very normal for this model, in my opinion.

I'll get it together with Win10 (old scanner and printer have problems, although some drivers from Win7 seem to be installed, and a few programs don't want to work), reinstall the whole system and it will be necessary tocompare speed on six cores without hypertrading and on 12 threads with hypertrading on standard MA-expert with big data, not on annual OHLC on 1M, but over three years, and on all ticks.

Georgiy Merts:

Yes, I read the descriptions on the internet - if I had a CPU with the letter K - I would have all settings related to Turbo Boost (and to overclocking in general) unlocked in the BIOS. On Overclockers - several threads in the forum where people share their experiences with Turbo Boost control. Although, no one has the same board like I have, but, with the same chipset - there are, and all settings, which they say - I have. The only problem - I have them Read-Only. And for TurboBoost control I have to change them.

But, Intel wants very big money for K-line (I've already spent too much). And I'm not interested in all these overclocking experiments for a long time. So I took a CPU with "no letter". And now I have only two TurboBoost modes - either completely on, or completely off. Controlled both from BIOS and directly from Windows.

In Windows I've got turbo on (set max power mode to 100%), in BIOS - off. To control the mode only from BIOS (in Windows - very long to find out) Now the optimization - doesn't warm up the CPU even to 70 degrees, which, in my opinion, is very normal for this model.

I'll get it out of Win10 (my old scanner and printer have problems, although they seem to have drivers from sevens installed, and a few programs don't want to work), reinstall the whole system - I'll have tocompare speed on six cores without hypertrading and on 12 threads with hypertrading on standard MA-expert with big data, not on annual OHLC on 1M, but over three years, and on all ticks.

I understand - marketing rules.

For scanner, try VueScan - my old scanner didn't work on MacOS 7, it works fine.

Do you think it's impossible to install Windows 7 at all or is it possible but it cuts some functionality of the processor?

Georgiy Merts:

For $500 one percent ???

You're crazy, my friends. You've got nowhere to put your money - I envy you.

And we are retired beggars, not rich people who are cooler than eggs.

And we have to optimize, not brag on forums.

So $500 for everything.

If I'm optimizing now on a 10-year-old dual-core Core Duo with 4 GB on it, even a quad-core with 8 GB will be good enough for me. And I was going to buy it, but when I looked at it it seemed that I could afford to buy a 6-core machine with 16 Gigs too.

The main questions I have regarding RAM - does switching from 8 to 16 GB will speed up work much, and threads - is it better to have 4 cores in 8 threads or 6 cores in 6 threads?

Here's a good series of articles
https://3dnews.ru/969083

Компьютер месяца — май 2018 года
Компьютер месяца — май 2018 года
  • 3dnews.ru
Апрель начался удачно: Intel наконец-то представила остальные процессоры Coffee Lake, а вместе с ними и младшие чипсеты 300-й серии. В то же время в продаже вновь появились игровые видеокарты AMD и NVIDIA. Радоваться, впрочем, пришлось недолго, так как в середине месяца заметно вырос курс доллара, а вместе с ним и цены на компьютерную технику...

Alexey Volchanskiy:

There's a good series of articles

I was just looking at this series very closely.

I'm very happy with the upgrade.

Aleksey Vyazmikin:

For the scanner, try VueScan - my old scanner didn't work on the seven, it works fine with it.

Is it impossible to install 7, or is it possible, but it cuts some of the functionality of the processor?

Scanner - I'll look into it.

And it is possible to install it, but I will have to migrate anyway, so it's better to migrate when computers are "disassembled" and not when some program won't work. So, now I'm slowly tuning Ten, installing usual applications, upgrading, if necessary... Reinstalling, reconfiguring... When everything has settled down - then I will completely reinstall everything, install all the applications "overnight", and make a disk image for recovery.

Alexey Volchanskiy:

Here's a good series of articles

Computers should be designed on the information givenhere. There are all the necessary references to similar and related components. And the numbers they usually have are NOT the data sheet figures, but the result of their own tests.

Here is a table on processor performance

Note that XEON server processors are about equal in price to their home computer counterparts, but

• have USS, which is 72-bit instead of 64-bit, which enables automatic error correction - calculation reliability is much higher.
  • have 4 channels to memory instead of the usual 2, which for our optimization tasks can result in a doubling of performance.

Using a concrete example comparison for processors with the same price, we see that in terms of the table the HEON is inferior to the i7-8700, but in reality for optimization that loads all cores will outperform the i7, as 4 channels to memory will play a greater role at full core load versus 2.

PS.

Processor prices are in this shop. They are usually higher.

НИКС - Компьютерный Супермаркет г. Балашиха
НИКС - Компьютерный Супермаркет г. Балашиха
  • www.nix.ru
НИКС - Москва. Компьютерный магазин. Компьютеры оптом. Десятки магазинов в городах России.

СанСаныч Фоменко:

When the cores are fully loaded, 4 channels to memory will play a bigger role than 2.

I remember doing an experiment with two-channel and single-channel configuration, though on MT4, and the single-channel variant was 10% faster. That's why your words need to be justified.