Selecting a computer configuration (expert optimisation a priority) - page 3

Better than Ryzen 1700(not X) or an updated model 2700(not X) for optimisation you will not find a model, 8 cores, 16 threads

MSI motherboard, there all and sundry adjustable coolers, optimum MSI B350 PC MATE

if all is new and moreover 2700 ryzen which went on sale a week ago, then of course above budget

Vladislav Andruschenko:

for $500 you can only buy a good processor.

Although, as far as I'm concerned. The power of the processor has little effect on the speed of optimisation. Optimise in the cloud and you will be happy.

I would suggest looking at ssd . Without ssd your powerful cpu won't make much sense.

What about a RAM drive?

You prepare an image with MT, if necessary deploy it to RAM, throw the required data there, the terminal loads the history and it spins there in memory... and if it's DDR4 too!

Fast235:

what about the RAM drive?

Haven't used one of these.

Fast235:

what about a RAM disk?

Prepare an image from MT, if necessary deploy it to RAM, throw the data you need there, the terminal loads the history and it spins there in memory... and if it's DDR4 too!

Hmmm...

Well, then, it looks like 16Gig of memory won't be superfluous after all...

Georgiy Merts:

Hmmm...

Well, then it looks like 16gigs of memory won't be out of place after all...

this particular build will last for 10 years! (if aliens with new technology don't come sooner)

ram of course take 2pcs of DUAL 8gb, not one card, for Ryzen not expensive take samsung memory! without heat sinks etc.

Almost any PSU for 400-500W, no need for Bronze

Pure imho. If the robot is tested on MT5, only the cloud. The cloud costs will pay for everything and everything. Chasing expensive hardware for this purpose is questionable...

Get a stone for DDR4

for example this

You plug in 64GB RAM (if budget is not too much, you can use 32GB, 16+16), put the RAMdisk, put the terminal on it (16 for MT on RAMdisk, 16 for system needs).

And give everyone a thumbs up.

It doesn't matter what kind of drive at all.

You only need a heatsink on your operative device, it will get so hot during optimization.

And yes, do not listen to anyone who says that 1Gb per 1 core is enough (like 8 cores, 8Gb).

I have 4 cores (8 threads hypertrid), while there was 8Gb, everything went so-so, as put 16Gb everything was flying.

In total per thread (not core) preferably 1.5-2GB of RAM.

That is, for your planned 6 threads it is 12GB. But imho CPU with hypertrid is better, but it's a matter of taste.

Dennis Kirichenko:
Pure imho. If the robot is tested on MT5, only the cloud. Cloud costs will pay for everything and everything. Chasing expensive hardware for this purpose is questionable...

I agree. But you still need to do one-off runs, and you still have to spend some money on hardware to avoid slowing down the computer (which makes me nervous).

But I am all for the cloud, optimization should only be done in the cloud.

I even turn off my local computers when optimizing them so as not to disturb the cloud.

Once I was running 6 terminals for valk-forward, each terminal was calculating its period, and then I ran through excel, summed everything with a script.

Thus, the annual history of a very heavy EA on all real ticks has been calculated in two sessions of 15 minutes (more precisely, if I may say so with 6 clouds, I have launched 6 terminals).

And all this joy cost 10$.

My machine with 8 threads and 16GB RAM, would have worked this field 2-3 months (if not smog).

Alexey Viktorov:

And at what speed will the HDD volume, let's say 500 gb, if the speed will be 5400?

I have not even seen read speeds measured for HDD. Probably, because it is unpredictable. And when defragmentation is required and you don't do it, you're screwed... the lag... ...so bad.

I don't know.

I'm looking specifically at my data.

Just today a new version of R came in, had to copy, loads of small files, so never saw 100MB! About 10 or even just a few.

Noticed this earlier. 100-120MB is fine for a hard drive, but I've never seen more than that for a cd, even though I have 500MB on the passport. I have thrown my money away and that's it.

Dennis Kirichenko:
Purely imho. If the robot is being tested on MT5, then it has to be in the cloud. Cloud costs will pay for everything and everything. I don't think it is reasonable to chase expensive hardware for this purpose.

Well, the thing is, I need to upgrade this year anyway. After all, I've had it for over nine years...

And I've budgeted $500, that's it, I can't spare any more under any pretext.

I have great doubts about the "payback of the cloud".