Where to start? - page 4

Andrey:
Where can I start writing code in C# or C++ in Visual Studio 2015 for analyzing trading? For example, how to read the Euro/Dollar exchange rate history for a certain period of time to understand how the code is set up in principle (under the Windows), for any parameters Ask, Buy, it does not matter, I'm not very good at terminology yet. Or, for example, to read the current values of the same pair at the Moscow Exchange in the real time mode.

Start with a block diagram of the algorithm. The main thing is to write the algorithm for the strategy. And the rest will follow.

Андрей:

What you are writing about is only needed for high-frequency trading; 95% of ordinary traders do not need it at all. And the niche is already occupied, if you want to take part there, you have to start with an office near one of the major exchanges, a high-speed communication channel to it, and then think about real-time operating systems and so on. And so, the main delay will be like with almost all traders - the connection channel to your broker's server will be tens of milliseconds, everybody does it, get used to it. The other thing is that normal trading strategies don't care about that at all. What do you need C sharps and other C pluses for? Are you going to add a database, SQLite? Or MySQL? It's cool, of course, but it will be, as you were rightly told - crutches, which will add more latency. But it's all nonsense, because you do not know that you will trade =) I advise you to start with trading with your hands on a demo account, after six months the questions will disappear.

I liked your answer, thanks, so at this point in time, human brains work better than computer brains? I've got no particular desire to start trading on the exchange, I think that's how it is for me. I have a question about indicators and strategies, or only personal experience works? For some reason they do need some kind of analysis for market entry? (I'm not sure if I used the right slang at the end)

George Merts:

Hmmm... I thought you (let's say "you") had a good background in programming... Based on your talk about C#, C++ and DBMS... Doesn't seem to be the case ?

In that case, you'd better not look for any details. First of all just master MQL, so that at least something can be done with it - say, a simple MA indicator or a simple reversal expert on MA crossings and price.

Don't get ahead of the game, the way to algotrading through programming is much more unpleasant (in my opinion) than achieving the same goal through manual trading.

I have good experience with c#, c++, labview, php, mysql, but I don't understand what can be useful from my experience. The answers are very different, and the truth is somewhere in the middle?

Alexander Ivanov:

Start with a block diagram of the algorithm. The main thing is to write the algorithm for the strategy. And the rest will follow.

And to have a strategy, you need to trade with your hands for half a year, right?

=========================================================================

To summarize:

1. 95% of traders trade with their hands relying on personal experience and using the fundamental and technical analysis, they develop their strategy and work according to it.

2. 5% of traders use high speed scalping and use expensive fast hardware and advanced technologies.

3. some advanced traders team up with programmers and develop their own additional trading environments/systems.

Is there anything else that could be added to the overall trading scheme?

Andrey:

I have good experience with c#, and c++, and labview, and php and mysql, but i don't know what could be useful from my experience here

The useful thing is that MQL is almost the same as C++, so a lot of your experience will come in handy.

I have experience in this area, so there is nothing to think about. You may open Kodobase and study Expert Advisors' codes, looking through the help - at least the first thing that works. And you will remember about the speed - when it will be critical for you.

Andrey:

And for there to be a strategy, you have to trade with your hands for six months, right?

Probably more than that. Not necessarily with hands. But, again, the path to algorithmic trading, not through "manual trading", but through programming, is, in my opinion, more difficult.

George Merts:

Hmmm... I thought you (let's say "you") had a good background in programming... Based on your talk about C#, C++ and DBMS... Doesn't seem to be the case ?

In that case, you may not look at any details. First of all just master MQL, at least something that may be useful - say, a simple MA indicator or a simple reversal expert on MA and price crossings.

I think that the way to algotrading through programming is much more unpleasant (in my opinion) than reaching the same goal through manual trading.

Exactly, I had a student like that, who decided to learn MQL, hardly knowing how to use computer and knowing almost nothing about Forex.

George Merts:
Probably even more. Not necessarily with pens. But, I repeat - the way to algotrading is not through "trading by hand", but through programming - in my opinion, more difficult.
Thanks a lot, I guess the subject can be closed, I understand approximately where to start, thanks to all for participating in the discussion of the subject :).

Andrey:
Where can you start writing code in C# or C++ in Visual Studio 2015 to analyze trading? For example, how to read the Euro/Dollar exchange rate history for some period of time to understand how the code is set up in principle (under the Windows), for any parameters Ask, Buy, it does not matter, I do not know the terminology very well yet. Or, for example, to read the current values of the same pair at the Moscow Stock Exchange in real time.

Start by studying the MQL4 and MQL5 documentation. Read it at least once from cover to cover. This will give you a basic understanding of the subject area.

Alexey Volchanskiy:

I had such a student who decided to learn MQL without knowing how to use a computer and knowing almost nothing about forex.

Exactly, I had one such student who decided to learn MQL without much experience in programming, i.e. without knowing how to use a computer, that's absurd. I admit that you have an experience, you must be a good trader and have a lot of messages, but your computer skills are probably not very good. For it makes no sense to learn applied programming in a narrow area without experience in other more common programming. So I don't really understand why you wrote that and in what connection?