What is a trend? - page 21

Ibragim Dzhanaev:

I'll give you a comprehensive definition: a trend is when two bars do not intersect :=))

Throw two dummies on a chart with the same period, with the same calculation method, one at High prices and one at Low prices. according to your definition you will have a perpetual trend (the two dummies will not cross each other).

Sincerely.

Ibragim Dzhanaev:

I'll give you a comprehensive definition: a trend is when two cars don't intersect :=))

That's probably the clearest and fairest definition

Ibragim Dzhanaev:

I give you a comprehensive definition: a trend is when two cars don't intersect :=))

Beautiful!

Brevity is the sister of talent.

But, unfortunately, there is a logical error: it follows from this definition that any intersection is already a trend, because there is some space (non-intersection) between the taps. And when the waves often cross back and forth on a horizontal market (obvious to the eye flat), we get "noisy", but constant trends. On the one hand this is true - the crossover is a consequence of a directional movement, and any directional movement is a trend of some level (size). On the other hand, in relation to the TF on which this crossing will look like horizontal noise, this definition will contradict.

Therefore, this variant is incomplete for formalisation, although for perception and understanding it is almost perfect.

Yousufkhodja Sultonov:
I agree, we are aware of the qualitative side of trend detection. We need to develop quantitative measures of trend detection, such as if the relative price increment over a certain period exceeds a certain value, we should recognise a trend. Otherwise it is a flat. I ask participants to develop this idea and suggest their own variants of quantification, such as criteria. For me personally, a trend is the movement of the current price from one break-even point (level) to the next break-even point until the market price intervenes. A run-up and subsequent bump in the market price at the current price means the end of the trend. To many, this seems like nonsense, but, the concept of market price derives from real market analysis of goods and services and it is time to recognise it as a real participant in market battles. I am not imposing the concept of market price on anyone, but I am sure there is a need to recognise it and study it thoroughly.

1) Breakeven is an interesting idea.

2) About the market price it is not quite clear how it is technically expressed and how it differs from what we see on the chart (the ticks that draw us the chart).

3) Indeed, there is a quantitative criterion, because there is a scale (VU, TF). Either it is necessary to do something with it (to overdraw or something), or with qualitative criterion "to suppress" (what?).

Yuriy Asaulenko:
Actually, in mathematics (statistics) the regression line determines the trend (the main direction, the trend) and deviations from it are noise. So there's no need to come up with anything). Everything is stolen defined before us). Everything can be read in any reference book.

In a global trend, as far as I remember, the regression channels are constantly expanding, showing us a trend in one direction, but within it there may be medium-term trends in the opposite direction (corrections to the global one). Which again comes down to a binding (relativity) with the TF. These very "noisy" deviations in the medium term will not seem like any "noise" to the average person.))

Victor Ziborov:

Andrey, do you mean the trend has to go through a flat phase before it turns? Look at the last three weeks, the USDJPY has reversed without going through a flat phase:

What I mean is.

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and strategy testing

What is a trend?

Andrew Petras, 2017.08.26 15:58

If there is a trend reversal as you understand it , then your trend is infinite to the right. I.e., all movement is a trend changing direction.

Nothing confusing?

Which is nonsense as it makes no sense. Flatulence is a separate song.

Dug out a sketch on the yen (weeks), did just over a year ago.

What trend change are you talking about?

ps corrected, I posted the wrong clipping.

Victor Ziborov:

Sergey, your trading system looks very convincing. These two indicators below - are they publicly available or are they purely yours and for your personal use? If they are publicly available, could you provide me with a link, please? I would like to try it.

That's the only thing he has in his picture. You ask him how he identifies the parameters for his miracle indicator... After you hear it, I suggest you start crossing your eyes and spitting over your left shoulder... Oh, and while you're at it, ask him to take a look at the Account Monitor... The main thing is to have a clear view of the market and the market... the main thing is to have a clear view of the market and the market...

Victor Ziborov:

Thank you very much. I see it's paid, but there's a Trial. The author is the same Sergey Nikitin. If I like it very much, I'll write one myself. Or buy it, we'll see.

Have you tried to load it in the tester, something does not load for me. I wanted to check for redrawing. I have a similar one, but it redraws.

You're getting a bit forgetful, GOSPELS!!!! You're getting confused... mash-ups and so on. I didn't think I would say this, but Yusuf has a point. There is a qualitative definition of a trend and there is a quantitative one, i.e. direction (quality) and deviation from the horizontal line relatively to X (quantitative), and the way you measure it in points or percentages or angles, is not important. The graph is simple!!!! If the line to X (time) does not change either up or down, we can say that we are not in a trend. But here's the thing, we are talking about a trend in the market, and it is much more interesting, or rather more difficult to define......

Simply, a trend is a value (if we want to define it) which must be considered in a PRECISIONAL CORDINATES SYSTEM!!!! Any change in the trend measurement system, will already speak of a different trend, in no way related to the first value. Let me give you an example:

We decided to identify the trend areas on the history, for this purpose we chose a certain TF, a certain level of averaging or zigzag tops. Any change of these parameters may change the picture diametrically.

On М15 there is a trend on H1, but not on Н1. At wave 5 there is a trend, at 15 there is no trend. Zigzag window 5 has trend, window 20, no trend. As an example..... Hence the conclusion that the concept of trend can be considered in the specific special case of the coordinate system..... IMHO

And your questions about the beginning and end of a trend is, if you'll excuse me, a market-wide issue. All market participants think ONLY about that, how to determine the reversal......