[Archive!] Pure mathematics, physics, chemistry, etc.: brain-training problems not related to trade in any way - page 619

Mathemat:

Did you know, for example, that there are only 16 Boolean functions with two Boolean variables?

That makes sense ) and with three 256

and with four - 65536 ))))

Well, you could say "unsolvable" about the TV problem in the same way. But it is solvable.

Mathemat:
Well, you could say "unsolvable" about the TV problem in the same way. But it is solvable.
Alexei, please repeat this problem about the sentinel, --- I missed it, and now I can't find it... It has a solution.

And about the telly, please.

avtomat:
Alexei, please repeat this problem about the guardian, --- I passed it by, and now I can't find it... It has a solution.
Which one? The one you haven't seen?
Oh!

The mute guardian:

You are standing at a fork in the road, one of the roads leads to the house (but you don't know which one). Fortunately, at the fork there is a gatekeeper who is either a truth teller or a liar. Unfortunately, the guard is mute, but fortunately not deaf :-)) and understands you. The guard, when saying "yes" and "no", pronounces them as "woo" and "yoo", but which one means "yes" and which one means "no" is unknown. He cannot pronounce any other sounds and, besides, he is unable to make a gesture in the right direction (perhaps he is armless as well :-)). On top of that, he's also stupid: he can't understand longer questions over 15 words. What question to ask the guardian to find out which road will lead you to your home? You can only ask one question and only one that the gatekeeper is able to answer.

Telek:

There are liars in the city who always lie and truth-tellers who always tell the truth. How can Mega Brain find out in one question whether a resident has a colour TV?

MikeM:
Which one? The one you haven't seen?
However!
Why didn't you see it? I did, but I passed it by... I didn't pay attention... but now I wanted to check. What's not to understand?

Add oohs and ahhs to the TV problem and it too becomes unsolvable. (And also the stupidity of the answers.)

MikeM:
The answer is not accepted! The sentinel may not like beer.
Nonsense. All guards like beer.