The Bank of England has bought a number (molillion-billion, etc.) of pounds from the Swiss bank for francs. How will the exchange rate change, why? - page 4

joo >> :

The point is not the exchange rate. The question of the author of the topic is what was it in the beginning, buying or selling? :)

not what at the beginning. but at the same time, both countries are interested in buying!

KONDOR >> :

So far I've concluded:

to open a position you need to find out how many pounds B.A. is going to buy

>> and how many francs is the end goal.

It depends on how they agree, let's say 1:1 the Swiss bank is not satisfied and it starts setting a price that is profitable for it, until they (B.A. and B.S.) agree

KONDOR >> :

So far I've concluded:

to open a position you need to find out how many pounds B.A. is going to buy

and how many francs is the end goal.

This information will not help you to earn money. You will need to know what the exchange rate will be in the future. :)

KONDOR >> :

not that at the beginning. but at the same time, both countries are interested in buying!

OK, you have a car (BMW) and I have a car (Moskvich-412) agree 1:1

joo >> :

This information will not help you to earn money. You will need to know what the exchange rate will be in the future. :)

I'll fix the profit, convert it to quid and take it out.

sanyooooook >> :

>> well, you have a car (BMW) and I have a car (Moskvich-412) agree 1:1

that's exactly 1:1, but the course is shifting! where to?

KONDOR >> :

>> why should I know. I'll lock in my profits, convert them to quid and take them out.

Wow!!!, turns out it's that simple!

KONDOR >> :

>> exactly 1:1, but the course is shifting! >> where to?

There are many other factors here, the present value of the cars, the future value of the cars, the future demand for these cars, and do you really need a Baja for a Muscovite?

sanyooooook >> :

we are talking about forex, not cars - let's consider currency as equivalent. There are many factors here, real value of cars, future value of cars, future demand for these cars, and do you really need a Baja for a Moskvich?

We're talking about forex, not cars.

Future value - let's think of currencies as equivalent.

it's all relative, it depends on what period you're looking at.

KONDOR >> :

>> exactly 1:1, but the course is shifting! >> where to?

Why is it shifting? It is not shifting anywhere. If the exchange rate shifted from one currency to another, then states would only be exchanging currencies back and forth to stabilise their currencies.