Real time EA working and history in mt4

Working EA in real time requires the completed history of a given currency or does it work independently of the data downloaded in mt4? Thank you for your answer

Jakub Mitrega: Working EA in real time requires the completed history of a given currency or does it work independently of the data downloaded in mt4? Thank you for your answer

It depends on the EA. Some, require only some history data for the indicators it uses, usually less than 1000 bars of the time-frames it uses.

Only a very few number of EAs would require so much history data. Probably those based on Machine Learning would require so much data.

Fernando Carreiro #:

It depends on the EA. Some, require only some history data for the indicators it uses, usually less than 1000 bars of the time-frames it uses.

Only a very few number of EAs would require so much history data. Probably those based on Machine Learning would require so much data.

Thank you for the answer, I understand that when using the m15 or h1 frame I do not need tick data for the EA to work properly, correct?

Jakub Mitrega #: Thank you for the answer, I understand that when using the m15 or h1 frame I do not need tick data for the EA to work properly, correct?

You always need current Ask/Bid tick data (not tick history) for the following:

• When managing your open positions, such as opening, modifying and manually closing.
  • When basing decisions on the current candle or indicators for the current candle.
  • When filtering on the Spread.

If however, you are only basing decisions on past bars/candles and only using pending orders and not managing the positions they produce, then you don't need to monitor current tick data.

Also, MT4 does not have tick data history for you to access, unlike MT5.

Fernando Carreiro #:

You always need current Ask/Bid tick data (not tick history) for the following:

• When managing your open positions, such as opening, modifying and manually closing.
  • When basing decisions on the current candle or indicators for the current candle.
  • When filtering on the Spread.

If however, you are only basing decisions on past bars/candles and only using pending orders and not managing the positions they produce, then you don't need to monitor current tick data.

Also, MT4 does not have tick data history for you to access, unlike MT5.

Thank you for the answer again.

Jakub Mitrega #:

Thank you for the answer, I understand that when using the m15 or h1 frame I do not need tick data for the EA to work properly, correct?

Again depends on which EA but there is no tick history . The most is 1m history which can be downloaded . Because this is the forum we cannot discuss specific EAs so generically if the EA uses indicators then yes you need history. Non indicator price action EA in realtime usually does not need history only current price . Answer applies only for live realtime testing not backtesting

Aldo Marco Ronchese #:
Again depends on which EA but there is no tick history . The most is 1m history which can be downloaded . Because this is the forum we cannot discuss specific EAs so generically if the EA uses indicators then yes you need history. Non indicator price action EA in realtime usually does not need history only current price . Answer applies only for live realtime testing not backtesting

Explained :)