Beginner trader working on a real account on Elliott Waves (invest - password enclosed)... - page 24

I don't think so. Values > 1.0 would then be possible

Yurixx:
Can anyone explain the short term jump of the Canadian upwards. Maybe there was some news on Canada ?

IMHO the 50% level with a caption meaning in Russian an equal ratio (number) of longs to shorts does not allow for ambiguity. And the arrows to the right of the glass mean respectively:

- Up Arrow (Longer): there are more longs than shorts and the higher the higher the skew,

- The down arrow (Shorter): there are more short positions than long ones and the lower the higher the slope.

I had no doubts about it :(.

But according to Yurixx treatment there are more longs anyway (both up and down from parity). I.e. on the move up we go closer to 100% longs, and on the move down we go to 0% shorts, which is equal to 100% longs. I think so...

2 Sart: For the Canadian I do not know :) It often has its own life :)

goldtrader:

No, that won't work either. Is it that the beginning of the scale is for shorters and the end is for losers? :-)))

Clearly it's only 100%. It's a cup and it's divided between shorters and longers. If shorters are 25%, that leaves longers 75%. The up and down arrows show that the longers are above the line and the shorters are below the line. The scale is given from bottom to top, i.e. for shorters. Wherever the line is in the total is still the same cup.

And the signature at 50% translates as: equal ratio of longs and shorts. Naturally, it is 50/50.

If all means have been tried and do not help, finally read the instructions :). The instructions say: The left chart shows the current ratio of long-short positions for eachcurrency pair(e.g. a ratio higher than 50% means an overall long market and vice versa).

Which, in fact, confirms my interpretation. Doesn't it?

Yurixx:

No, that won't work either. Is it that the beginning of the scale is for shorters and the end is for losers? :-)))

Exactly so: the beginning of the scale (low=0%) is the level of domination of short positions, when 0% are longs and 100% are shorts,

The end of the scale (top=100%) is the level of dominance of long positions, when longs are 100% and shorts 0%. Everything else is intermediate states.

I think we mean the same thing, only we express it differently. It cannot be interpreted differently, imho.

In other words, the scale is expressed in % of long positions and the higher the upside of 50%, the greater the preponderance of longs over shorts, the lower the downside of 50%, the lesser the 5% of longs (it is stated numerically) and the greater the preponderance of shorts.

Yeah ... I was wrong. From my point of view the picture is misleading. However, the explanation says the higher the bar, the higher the percentage of long positions. It means that the gradation from 0% to 100% really concerns bars (I thought it was vice versa). And all the rest belong to shorts.

So, 25% of traders are long on dollar vs yen, while about 35% are short on euro vs dollar. Thus, people mainly stakes on yen (without hoping for the Japanese government), but thinks that dollar is undervalued comparing to European currencies (especially it is visible in euro and franc) and consequently its fall is about to be replaced with a rise. Well, well, let's see.

From the contrarian viewpoint, which is quite fashionable in the stock market, the market goes against the crowd. That's why most people are dumping. From this point of view, the downtrend on the USD in the Euro should continue, but against the Yen it should get stronger. IMHO, this is not without some rational basis.

And what does the WTE say about this?

Longs... shorts.... I don't get it, is this grading based on the number of poses, or the volume of poses, or is it not that important?

Figar0:

Longs... shorts.... I don't get it, is this gradation based on the number of poses or their volume? or is it not that important?

There was never any mention of actual volumes... It must be the data on the number of positions by analogy with the tick volumes, regardless of the size of the positions.

I think it is important and useful to have information about the total volume of open longs and shorts, because positions opened by 0.1 lot and 100.0 lots cannot be put on the same scale. 0.1 lot is opened by 90% of the losers, and by lots from 10.0, ... 100.0 and higher are used by traders who have been in the market for many years, and it's their positions that are of most practical interest, though such positions are in the minority. We are almost certainly presented with the data about the crowd mood, which is very often wrong.