Why is trading without stop-loss considered absurd for many! - page 30

Yousufkhodja Sultonov:
But what if you put a stop-loss order at the SL level, closing the position?

Locking in the sense of "locking" is a way of locking in losses - i.e. it is essentially the same as a stop loss but without closing the position.

Andrey F. Zelinsky:

By the way, there are strategies for which stop-out closures are built into the strategy itself - Martin, Ilan-like strategies.

Yes, there are also "comic-book" strategies, i.e., "at random".

Andrey F. Zelinsky:

By the way, there are strategies for which closing on a stop-out -- inherent in the strategy itself -- martin, ilan-like strategies.

How I love it when you try to put me down year after year, whether you wrote it a year ago, or two years ago, or five years ago, when I had the old profile, I am genuinely in awe of you all the time

Oxana Tambur:

... Take Profit operation ( or stop loss at breakeven and onwards to the positive side).

A loss is a price movement (negative price movement) that results in a decrease in the profit of a position.

Therefore, a stop loss placed at breakeven is still a stop loss, i.e., a mechanism for capturing/limiting losses on negative price movements

Andrey F. Zelinsky:

Locking in the sense of "locking" is a way of locking in losses - i.e. it is essentially the same as stop-loss, but without closing the position.

Yes, we open a lock when the momentum for a losing position arrives. I call it "lift counterbalancing". I mean, the lift can't work without the counterweight.

Oxana Tambur:

How I love it when you try to put me down year after year, whether you wrote this a year ago, two years ago, five years ago, when I had the old profile, I am genuinely "in awe" of you all the time

There's an expression: "no one but you".

It's best to talk about the topic of the thread and not get personal.

You brought up the topic -- I made points strictly on topic -- made points not just for you, but more for others, for those who read the thread.

Oxana Tambur:

How I love it when you try to put me down year after year, whether you wrote it a year ago, two years ago, five years ago, when I had an old profile, I am truly in awe of you all the time.

Earlier you said that the method is applicable, if you follow some rules, which you rightly omit. Believe me, if you don't know those rules, then, indeed, your assertions about the viability of TC without SL seem ridiculous. The whole sticking point is these "rules". We've established that, it's not a lock, but what it is, no one knows.

Yousufkhodja Sultonov:
Yes, we open a lock when a favourable moment for a losing position arrives. I call it "lift counterbalance". I mean, a lift can't work without a counterweight.

I distinguish between lock a) as a lock and b) as an opposite opening position.

The difference is that in the case of "a) a lock as a lock", it is the fixing of a loss that must be dealt with later.

In the case of "b) lock as opposite opening", this is simply the opening of a position, and this opening is followed by the rules of the strategy.

p.s. For example, the bidirectional grid -- "lock as lock" is not used here, is not the essence of the strategy.

Andrey F. Zelinsky:

I distinguish between lock a) as a lock and b) as an opposite opening position.

The difference is that in the case of "a) a lock as a lock", it is the fixing of a loss that must be dealt with later.

In the case of "b) lock as opposite opening", this is simply the opening of a position, and this opening is followed by the rules of the strategy.

p.s. For example, the bidirectional grid -- "lock as lock" is not used here, it is not the essence of the strategy.

This one more details please, as, now I am also testing the potential and risks of such a TS. I.e. the trend and counter-trend strategies live their own lives in the depths of one account. True, I do not have a grid. Only the trend strategy is optimized, and counter-trend strategy always puts positions against the main strategy. Both TS work without SL.

Yousufkhodja Sultonov:
Here is more details, please, because now I also check potential and risks of such TS. So, the trend-following and counter-trend strategies are living each in its own life inside one account. True, I do not have a grid. Only the trend strategy is optimised, while the counter-trend strategy always puts positions against the main strategy.

What is there to elaborate on? We just defined a lock as a stop loss (loss limitation) without closing positions.

If oppositely directed positions are opened in the same account simultaneously -- and they are living the life of the strategy -- these positions are not locks.

When a lock is placed , it is understood as a fixing of losses, and there is a corresponding attitude to it -- that is, there are essentially two options:

a) to make profit on other openings and close the lock

b) part or all of the tray is understood as a simple opening of a position, it is introduced into the strategy and managed according to the rules of the strategy.