Interesting topic for many: what's new in MetaTrader 4 and MQL4 - big changes on the way - page 26

MetaDriver:
Nikolai, this sounds like Renat's demagoguery. For a tick or asc history to ever appear, it has to start being written on the servers immediately. Then in a month we will have a monthly history, and in a year a year. If the lack of history now justify the implementation of its recording/broadcasting, then it will never happen..24 hours is not necessary to wait, you can compare your script immediately. You can even compare as you record and display the difference in the indicator.

ANG3110 07.08.2013 23:24 #

But I still do not understand why [Low_Bid+Spread != Low_Ask] ???

Что будет нового в MetaTrader 4 и MQL4 - большие изменения на подходе - MQL4 форум
  • www.mql5.com
Что будет нового в MetaTrader 4 и MQL4 - большие изменения на подходе - MQL4 форум

MetaDriver:
It is not necessary to wait for twenty-four hours, you can use your script to compare immediately. You can even compare as you write and display the difference on the indicator.
Well, then the experiment goes down the drain, because it is necessary to compare Low_Bid+Spread exactly on behalf of the tester.

And you give him a link to this thread, he's obviously not aware of it.

Urain:

But I still don't understand why [Low_Bid+Spread != Low_Ask] ???

Nicholas let's split the question.

1. Are they equal or not?

2. So why.

You can check the first one. Go ahead and check it.

The second doesn't really matter. Nevertheless, you can easily understand the mechanism of this difference, even without an explanation.

I think you have a problem with the first point. It's like "I don't believe because I don't understand".

However, facts do not depend on whether we understand them or not. They don't care. Limiting one's perception to understandable facts is a very popular way to maintain self-esteem and maintain the chaste sanctity of one's beliefs. However, pop doesn't rule in forex. Here, pop is fucked, wholesale and retail.

Urain:

And why should they be equal if Spread is floating?

Urain:

Simple example: bar of 3 ticks: (10,12) (5,12) (10,12). LowAsk = 12, LowBid = 5, spread = ???

hrenfx:
Well then the experiment goes down the drain, because we need to compare Low_Bid+Spread exactly on behalf of the tester.
It is not necessary in the pipe. You can get the spread of the bar, which is assigned by MT5 (the tester will see it later), and the difference can be immediately drawn in the indicator, as the real LowAsk is collected.

papaklass:

As soon as a strategy needs stops, it will need LowBid (stop at Buy position triggering) / HighAsk( stop at Sell position triggering) prices immediately.

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and trading strategy testing

An interesting topic for many: What's new in MetaTrader 4 and MQL4 - big changes are coming

hrenfx, 2013.08.07 22:27

LowBid and HighAsk play no role at all. And only dumb stop strategies can use them. And not stupid stop strategies use e.g. BuyStop_byBID. I.e. a BUY position is opened only when the Bid price from below moves upwards through the stop loss level.

Otherwise we get the following situation: on ECN/STP you have a regular BuyStop. You have set SellLimit below BuyStop. On other platforms, your BuyStop will be executed, but not on your platform until the SellLimit is filled or you delete it. It turns out that you cannot use these HighAsk and LowBid in the tester at all, because in reality you can affect these prices casually yourself without any problems. And it will depend on it, if your stop will work or not. And in terms of common sense, classic stop positions are silly.

kazakov.v:
You don't need to go down the pipe. You can get the spread of the bar, which is assigned by MT5 (the tester will see it later), and the difference can be immediately drawn in the indicator, as the real LowAsk is collected.
This will be an indirect comparison, because it is impossible to say for sure (without checking) that in the tester LowAsk is calculated using the formula LowBid+Spread. And we need to compare the test LowAsk with the real one.

papaklass:

I will respond with a quote from ANG3110 to your placing limit orders before stop orders:

".... And on large swings like daily waves, where the spread is not that significant (although it is significant nonetheless), it is very difficult to make money. The price moves not logically - the banks see where the stops have accumulated, and under the cover of "news" they break them out and take them down. Can traders move a pair by 100 points within a minute after the news release? It takes a lot of money and the central banks do it. They even tried to agree among themselves on the level of countries not to manipulate the price, but greed takes its toll. And any filters, channels, indicators - break down to just a deliberate absorption of the price in an illogical direction....."

Would love to see first hand how your limit orders stop this mayhem. :) No offense.

That's not what ANG3110 was talking about. My writing is not verbiage, but simple logic. Let's take the example of a rollover, the end of trading week or some strong news. What happens at these moments? Right, the spread widens and sometimes by more than an order of magnitude. Stupid stop positions are triggered on this shit - and this is nonsense, because such a natural spread widening is the leveling of risks by market participants (they simply remove bids). The question is: why enter, if it's not a breakout? Moreover, if at this point you place a limit order inside the widening spread, then the spread will miraculously become much narrower on your market. And your stop order might not work, which is correct for this situation, because again, there is no breakdown there.

This is just one of many examples. Let's take a non-breakout calm market. Suppose that the price has reached your stop and immediately changed. In the tester everything is fine and in real (almost). Now imagine that you set a Limit order (or your friend set a Limit order of 0.1 lot at 1 pip below your BuyStop). That's it, it's not going to work.

In short, read the literacy carefully. You can understand it all theoretically, but you can fix it only with practice. The problem is that almost none of you trade on the ECN/STP. Maximum - a simple STP.

And for the same reason, using classic stops on exchanges is also nonsense. But because of centralisation, the limit inside the spread can be a tidbit for the MM algorithm. And it will gobble it up so that no one will even notice the impact of the order placed. And in FOREX, in order for the MM algorithm to see the order, it needs to be at the same place where it is placed. And this coincidence does not always come true.