Interesting and Humour - page 540

TheXpert:

Of course we can't. They don't understand! I'd also like your opinion on "which is heavier, a kilo of fluff or an iron?"

But please, with all the details - we can't all keep up with your lightning-quick thinking.

Of course it's iron, it has a higher density. Didn't you know that?

Mischek:
Of course it's iron, because it has a higher density, didn't you know?
That's not fair - you knew :(

papaklass:

How so. Are you saying that regardless of the weight of the body, they will push equally on the floor of the lift? And if you put a scale under each body, the reading of the scale, i.e. the force of the body on the lift floor, will be the same?

Galileo's experience confirming that bodies of different masses fall at the same time.

Years later, Galileo found himself back in his hometown of Pisa, the city where he had spent his childhood. He had left Pisa as a student and was now, at the age of twenty-five, a professor. His financial situation was unenviable, because a professor's salary in those days was very small. To improve matters he engaged in tutoring.

Galileo was a passionate scientist, interested in various phenomena of nature and he invented more and more experiments. His desire to understand the laws of nature was, however, met with hostility from most scientists. Professors were teaching students the sciences which had already come from Aristotle, they avoided everything new and nothing could shake their quiet life.

One day when the master watchmaker Pifferi was passing through the square he saw a crowd assembled in front of the cathedral.

- Excuse me, young man," he said to a student standing nearby, "what's going on here?

- Our new mathematics professor Galileo wishes to prove to us that the present fall theory is incorrect, the young man replied.

- Can you be more specific, my dear fellow, about what Galileo actually wants to prove? - asked the watchmaker, who was intrigued by all the technical novelties.
- Our physicists say that the heavier the object, the faster it falls.
- Of course, the watchmaker remarked, since common sense also tells us that the stone falls faster than the stalk of straw.
- That is not the point, the student continued, we are talking about objects of equal density or equal quality. For example two stones, two pieces of iron, or two wooden balls.
- But that's not right," the watchmaker cried. "Every child knows that a stone that is ten times as heavy must fall ten times as fast as a lighter stone.
- That's what we students and professors think. Aristotle says so too, but our new professor rejects it and wants to prove us right. He claims that all bodies fall at the same speed and that minor deviations are caused by air resistance.

But if you'll excuse me, I must hurry or I'll be late for the experiment.

- What experiment? - The watchmaker shouted after him but there was no reply. The student was already far away.

The watchmaker was still curious and hurried to the church bell tower.
In front of the bell tower, in a semicircle, stood the professors and students of the university. Curiosity had brought them here. They had all heard about the new theory and now they were about to see something unheard and unseen. Until now it had never occurred to anyone to study the theory of falling bodies through experience. And what was the point of doing experiments?!

A few paces in front of the audience Galileo appeared.

- Is everything ready? - He shouted to the three students who stood on the bell tower and helped him set up the experiment.
- Yes, everything is ready! - One of them answered. In his left hand he held a stone the size of a fist and in his right hand a stone the size of a human head. Galileo turned to the crowd.

- Now we will ask nature a question and it will answer us. Two stones, one small and one ten times as heavy, will fall from the bell tower. Watch closely and see whether the big stone falls ten times sooner - that is, much sooner than the small one - or not." Surely the big stone will fall much sooner than the small one, some of the professors shouted.

Galileo said nothing. He held up his right hand to indicate a sign. At the same second the two stones whistled from the bell tower and fell to the ground almost simultaneously.

Galileo's eyes sparkled with joy. The experience had been a success. He had just proved the old theory about falling bodies wrong and his views right. There was approving applause and enthusiastic voices, but they were drowned out by others who objected.

- The difference in mass of the two stones was too small and therefore the difference in speed was difficult to see, his opponents shouted.

Galileo waited for these objections. He gave a new sign to the students standing on the bell tower. Then one of them took a stone the size of a pigeon's egg and the other a huge stone ball. Galileo gave the sign again, the stones were thrown down and both stones fell to the ground almost simultaneously.

And this experience was a success. But then again the professors intervened: "The height of the bell tower is only fifty metres. This is not enough to make the difference in the speed of the falling stones evident".

Galileo decided on a third experiment as well. He took a short pendulum and swung it quickly. At the signal, a very small pebble was dropped from the bell tower. As it fell, the pendulum swung three times. Then a huge stone monolith was dropped. It fell exactly the same amount! Three experiments, all yielded the same result.

The results of these unusual experiments stirred up the whole of Pisa. Everywhere - in families, in workshops, in shops, in the streets - everywhere at least two people met, and certainly in the corridors of the university nothing was spoken of but the experiments of the young Galileo Galilei.

But even these excellent results did not change the minds of the old professors. Only a few of them accepted that Galileo was right.

Although the experiments were successful, Galileo was not happy. He wanted to derive the laws of free fall of bodies and, most importantly, to determine the relationship between the trajectory of the body and the time of fall. Soon, after many attempts and difficulties, he finally succeeded...

The answer is on the surface, you don't need to go into any details. The mass of the body is negligible compared to the mass of the Earth, so the acceleration of free fall is assumed to be constant. The velocity of the body does not depend on anything other than acceleration, i.e. mass has nothing to do with it at all. Practically, the falling body is still affected by the force of air resistance, it is essential, but it does not depend on the mass of the body, but depends on its size and streamlining. If you take a person, a body with a large mass has a larger size, so the air resistance force will be greater... So a body with more mass will fall slower. Although, a skinny one might create more turbulence... Hee!

tol64:

Galileo's experience confirming that bodies of different masses fall at the same time.

I'm not even going to read it. This is not a Russian scientist.

Where was Galileo when we launched the first satellite, when we restored Dnieper hydroelectric dam, when we sent the first man Jura into space? Where?

The answer comes with a rhyme, so let it stay there. And stay out of our physics with the crooked hands of Western imperialism.

TheXpert:

Of course there is. How can they not understand! Also interested in your opinion on the problem"which is heavier - a kilo of fluff or an iron?

But please, with all the details - we can't all keep up with your lightning-quick thinking.

It's elementary. First you hit your head with a pound of fluff and then a pound of iron.

What's the difference? Yeah... ))

moskitman:

Well, it's elementary! You hit your head first with a pound of fluff and then with a pound of iron.

And if it's a ton, does it make a difference?

"Impact force" is the smaller the greater the volume of the body at equal masses. In inverted commas, because by "force", the average person usually understands a measure of the impact of an object on the subject's head. This is the force divided by the area, i.e. pressure.

So, if we throw a 4 kg pillow at a stupid test subject, the damage caused is incomparably less than if we threw a 0.5 kg axe... a five-pound axe.

Oh, what am I doing? I'm being nice.

moskitman:

Well, it's elementary! You hit your head first with a pound of fluff and then with a pound of iron.

I would like to clarify. Judging by the second line of your post, you have found someone to conduct this experiment and successfully completed it.

This raises a number of questions.

How did you manage to convince the subject?

Did he change his attitude towards you after the experiment?

Did he try to promise to have sexual intercourse in a perverted form with all your close relatives?

yeah... it's time for the annals.