Determining the symbol for the most recent loss

Hi fellow programmers, i am trying to find a way of storing the symbol of my most recent trade that closed with a loss but i have no idea as to where to even begin. I would apreciate any nudge in the correct direction.

Please start to edit your post and remove all these uppercases. Thank you.

No need to store it, just go through history and find it.
MT5: first select a position via CPositionInfo, directly, or by 'MT4Orders' library (2016)

MT4:

1. Do not assume history has only closed orders.
              OrderType() == 6, 7 in the history pool? - MQL4 programming forum (2017)

2. Do not assume history is ordered by date, it's not.
              Could EA Really Live By Order_History Alone? (ubzen) - MQL4 programming forum (2012)
              Taking the last profit and storing it in a variable | MQL4 - MQL4 programming forum #3 (2020.06.08)

3. Total Profit is OrderProfit() + OrderSwap() + OrderCommission(). Some brokers don't use the Commission/Swap fields. Instead, they add balance entries. (Maybe related to Government required accounting/tax laws.)
              "balance" orders in account history - Day Trading Techniques - MQL4 programming forum (2017)

Broker History
    FXCM
    Commission - <TICKET>
    Rollover - <TICKET>

>R/O - 1,000 EUR/USD @0.52

#<ticket>  N/A
    OANDA
    Balance update
    Financing (Swap: One entry for all open orders.)

You'd want to start by defining "most recent" — is it "most recently opened" or "most recently closed"?

For "most recently closed", it'd be something like this:

// This is supposed to be a script (not an indicator or EA)
void OnStart()
  {
   HistorySelect(0,TimeCurrent()); //Select all trading history;

//some variables we'll need...
   long LastLossTime=0;
   long LastLossTicket=0;

for(int i=0; i<HistoryDealsTotal(); i++) //Cycle through the history
     {
      ulong ticket=HistoryDealGetTicket(i);

//IF: it's a loss and more recent than previous one found...
      if(HistoryDealGetDouble(ticket,DEAL_PROFIT)<0&&HistoryDealGetInteger(ticket,DEAL_TIME)>LastLossTime)
        {
         LastLossTime=HistoryDealGetInteger(ticket,DEAL_TIME); //update last found loss time
         LastLossTicket=HistoryDealGetInteger(ticket,DEAL_TICKET); //take note of the ticket number
        }
     }

//Now that we've cycled through the history, did we find any losses?
   if(LastLossTime>0)
     {
      string LastLossSymbol=HistoryDealGetString(LastLossTicket,DEAL_SYMBOL);
      PrintFormat("Most recent loss incurred at %s in %s.",TimeToString(LastLossTime),LastLossSymbol);
     }
   else
     {
      Print("Most recent loss: none found!");
     }
  }

Notes:

• this is a crude example I threw together in 10 minutes or so, not to be taken as an example of good and proper coding :D (for example, I'm getting DEAL_TIME twice)
  • if your deal history contains separate commissions or charges (e.g. islamic account), you'll need to introduce additional filters to filter those out, see Deal properties for more info
Documentation on MQL5: Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Trade Constants / Deal Properties
Documentation on MQL5: Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Trade Constants / Deal Properties
  • www.mql5.com
Deal Properties - Trade Constants - Constants, Enumerations and Structures - MQL5 Reference - Reference on algorithmic/automated trading language for MetaTrader 5