mt4setup.exe installs MT5???? - page 2

Detnator #:

Thanks for the explanations.  Indeed.  Believe it or not I did search for this topic before I posted but didn't find anything.  I obviously did something wrong because now when I search, as you say, I see it discussed many times.  So, for your explanation -- instead of just "go read all the other topics on this" or something --  all the more thanks to you.

So brokers are stuck with it because the customers stay with it.  Customers are stuck with it because the brokers stay with it. Makes perfect sense.  lol.

I guess if I don't get it now, it's just that a strategy to moving everyone -- customers and brokers -- to 5 seems pretty clear to me (as per my previous post). I don't believe in ranting and complaining without offering solutions...

They created both languages, I don't understand why they can't or won't create a reliable converter. At the very least a converter for source code should be easy, but a converter for compiled code should also still be possible. For compiled code, if nothing else, decompilers exist -- the result they produce doesn't make much sense to any humans other than the absolute most determined ones (non-sensical variable/function names, etc.), but it's a result that could be passed through a source code converter such that the result of that could be recompiled to a working result. Of course no one wants their compiled code decompiled, but a converter that decompiles, converts and recompiles, in one step without revealing the decompiled intermediate version should be doable -- and that's if a direct converter of compiled 4 to compiled 5 is for some reason impossible.

So if the world's library of EAs and CIs are the hold-up, I genuinely want to ask why that isn't a solution they could adopt. That said, perhaps I'm asking the wrong people here, so I might see if I can get a conversation with someone at MQ.

no problem for me to give the explanation, I just know of contacts who have made similar posts that made similar posts that were hashed in other posts by other posters, and they had their posts removed without notice, hence why i gave the notice about the rules. Sorry i dont have the link to the afore mentioned rules, but there is a couple different ones, some for the forum, others for what they call the newsgroup, another potato, potarta haha.

As for conversions between the 2 languages, there isnt an official method, however, i have used a couple different ones in the past, and use them all the time, just search codbase and github. But sorry again, but i dont have the specific links for them on hand either, but there is and always have been unofficial methods.

Detnator #:

That said, I've since learned more about the differences in functionality.  5 isn't entirely 4 plus more.  There appear to be certain restrictions or limitations in 5 that don't exist in 4. eg. no hedging?  I kinda wonder why they'd do that, but I won't labor that here, since as you say, questions, not random discussion.

like the fairy tales start... Once upon a time in a land far, far, away haha I think that in the beginning mt5 was just that: mt4-"plus", and the main plus was that it was 64 bit, but it wasnt like that for long: it became its own monster very soon after that :) if you think mt4 had bugs! wow. mt5 has always had its whoppers. They fix 1 but create 5 new ones haha.