Coding EA on iPad? - page 3

Fernando Carreiro:
No! MT4 accounts and MT5 accounts are very different.
Ok and like I said.

$1 - $15 purpose purchased VPS vs $1000 new laptop.

Still use my iPad and I can start coding tonight….

But I need to know how much ram and memory MT4 & MT5 need.

I assume I can install both on the same VPS and learn from there.

dQxTrades: Also at the moment I don’t have a laptop, it got stolen, so all I have is an a iPad and vps at $1 -15 / mth is quite attractive compared to $1000 for a new laptop.

Developing, debugging, and back-testing with a VPS and a iPad, and having no code experience with programming EAs, equals almost certain failure to accomplish the task.

I suggest, instead of a laptop, get an inexpensive modest white-label desktop PC.

Fernando Carreiro:

Developing, debugging, and back-testing with a VPS and a iPad, and having no code experience with programming EAs, equals almost certain failure to accomplish the task.

I suggest, instead of a laptop, get an inexpensive modest white-label desktop PC.

Yeah but $300 modest PC is still almost 2 yrs VPS hosting.

Code is code.

I can use a keyboard and mouse with the ipad so coding is not a problem.

I have coding experience, not with EA admittedly, but have some.

Anyway there is no rush or time limit…

It’s something, I want to do and passionate about learning.

Once coded the EA does its thing.

The set up will be fine.

LOL once I know how much power and memory in the VPS to buy!

Would you agree with…

To run MT4 you should be using Windows 2000 or later, with a 2.0 GHz or faster CPU, and at least 512 MB RAM (although 1 GB is recommended). You should have a screen resolution of 1024 x 768 or higher, and an internet connection speed of 56 kbps or faster.

And

MT5 System Requirements
  • Operating system: Microsoft Windows 98 SE2 or higher.
  • Processor: Intel Celeron-based processor, with a frequency of 1.7 GHz orhigher.
  • RAM: 256 Mb of RAM or more.
  • Storage: 50 Mb of free drive space.

So it would run on Windows XP and some decent ram. Which means it can run on UTM App on iPad native.

VPS would be if you want it on all the time and or a better OS.

dQxTrades:

To run MT4 you should be using Windows 2000 or later, with a 2.0 GHz or faster CPU, and at least 512 MB RAM (although 1 GB is recommended). You should have a screen resolution of 1024 x 768 or higher, and an internet connection speed of 56 kbps or faster.

MT5 System Requirements
  • Operating system: Microsoft Windows 98 SE2 or higher.
  • Processor: Intel Celeron-based processor, with a frequency of 1.7 GHz orhigher.
  • RAM: 256 Mb of RAM or more.
  • Storage: 50 Mb of free drive space.

You must be joking. You are referring to minimum specifications of decades ago. Forget Windows 98 or 2000, those are just too old. Also on a VPS the CPU is virtual and definitely not build on Celeron Hardware.

The oldest Windows I've seen available as VPS was Windows Server 2008 R2, but most are 2019 with some 2016 or 2012 R2, all 64-bit.

And internet speeds should be in the Mbps and not in the Kbps (on your side of the connection), but on a VPS side it is normal for it to be in the Gbps.

Fernando Carreiro:

You must be joking. You are referring to minimum specifications of decades ago. Forget Windows 98 or 2000, those are just too old. Also on a VPS the CPU is virtual and definitely not build on Celeron Hardware.

The oldest Windows I've seen available as VPS was Windows Server 2008 R2, but most are 2019 with some 2016 or 2012 R2, all 64-bit.

And internet speeds should be in the Mbps and not in the Kbps (on your side of the connection), but on a VPS side it is normal for it to be in the Gbps.

Yeah so a basic VPS with about 1GB of Ram and the latest OS is enough but it doesn’t need to be a max level VPS in memory or ram.

dQxTrades: Yeah so a basic VPS with about 1GB of Ram and the latest OS is enough but it doesn’t need to be a max level VPS in memory or ram.

Yes, but if you are going to do back-testing, then you will need more RAM, CPU and disk space, especially on MT5.

EDIT: All things considered, I still think it will be cheaper to go the desktop PC route. I cannot see such a VPS with enough RAM, CPU and disk space for back-testing being cheap.

Fernando Carreiro:

Yes, but if you are going to do back-testing, then you will need more RAM, CPU and disk space, especially on MT5.

EDIT: All things considered, I still think it will be cheaper to go the desktop PC route. I cannot see such a VPS with enough RAM, CPU and disk space for back-testing being cheap.

Interesting.

So back testing uses a lot of ram etc? Or is it that it will do it but be slow so do your back testing overnight and see results in the morning.

Which with a vps is very possible?