Orders not opening as expected

Hi all,

When I run the code below in MT4 tester, the stoplosses and take profits in general seem to be okay, as do the date ranges for executing the strategy.

However, the orders don't seem to obey the RSI criteria, could someone please help? It is like the RSI condition is being ignored and a trade opens as soon as the last one closes

Thanks! -

//+------------------------------------------------------------------+
//|                                                                  |
//|                               Copyright 2017, www.mql4trader.com |
//|                                                                  |

#property copyright "Copyright 2017, www.mql4trader.com"

//--- input parameters
extern string    Autotraders_by ="www.mql4trader.com";

///CUSTOMIZABLE OPTIONS GO HERE///
extern int period = PERIOD_D1; // PERIOD  
extern int applied_price = 0;  // APPLIED PRICE (0=CLOSE,1=OPEN,2=HIGH,3=LOW,4=MEDIAN,5=TYPICAL,6=WEIGHTED          
extern int barshift  = 1;           // SHIFT (1=last bar, 2= 2 bars ago, 3= 3 bars ago ect
////

///Set Take Profit and Stoploss///(Make sure that you check the journal when strategy testing.
//If you are getting a order modify error your stops may be to low.
//Check the specifications of the symbol you are trading and adjust for the amount of digits used.
extern double   TakeProfit=100;
extern double   StopLoss=200;
extern double   Lots=0.01; ///Investment

//Timesettings
extern string   TimeSettings="Set the hours the EA should trade";
extern int      StartHour=0;//24 hour clock. Set your start and end of day times or leave as is to trade every hour
extern int      EndHour=23;

//Slippage
extern int      Slip=10;///adjust slippage here

///Leave BarsCount as is/// This makes it so you can only place one trade per bar.
//Otherwise it sometimems will fire off many of the same trade per bar as each tick occurs...
extern int     BarsCount=0;///leave this as is

//Lets Begin//If there are less than zero orders, we can trade//

int start(){

if (Bars>BarsCount)

{
//////////////////
string Symb=Symbol();

////This advisor works on all charts because of the "MarketInfo" code below...

int digits=MarketInfo(Symbol(),MODE_DIGITS);
int StopMultd=10;
int Slippage=Slip*StopMultd;

///Magic Number is your orders unique id number. This way you do not open multiple orders///

int MagicNumber1=032017,MagicNumber2=042017,i,closesell=0,closebuy=0;

///Takeprofit and Stoploss settings

double  TP=NormalizeDouble(TakeProfit*StopMultd,Digits);
double  SL=NormalizeDouble(StopLoss*StopMultd,Digits);

double slb=NormalizeDouble(Ask-SL*Point,Digits);
double sls=NormalizeDouble(Bid+SL*Point,Digits);

double tpb=NormalizeDouble(Ask+TP*Point,Digits);
double tps=NormalizeDouble(Bid-TP*Point,Digits);

//-------------------------------------------------------------------+
//Check open orders
//-------------------------------------------------------------------+

if(OrdersTotal()>0){
  for(i=1; i<=OrdersTotal(); i++)          // Checking to make sure there are no open orders. Keep this set to zero unless you want the advisor to open more than one buy at a time or more than one sell at a time.
     {
      if (OrderSelect(i-1,SELECT_BY_POS)==true) // If the next is available
        {
          if(OrderMagicNumber()==MagicNumber1) {int halt1=1;}///if this magicnumber has an order open... halt!
          if(OrderMagicNumber()==MagicNumber2) {int halt2=1;}///if this magicnumber has an order open... halt!   

}
     }
}
////Change input parameters "StartHour" EndHour" at top of page, to adjust, if you only want to trade at certain times...

if((Hour()>=StartHour)&&(Hour()<EndHour))
{
int TradeTimeOk=1;
}
else
{ TradeTimeOk=0; }

////

//-----------------------------------------------------------------
// Indicators Section/// This is where you place indicators needed for expert advisor to work...
//-----------------------------------------------------------------

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//                                                                                                              //
// IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS INDICATOR, SIMPLY RUN IT THROUGH THE STRATEGY TESTER AS IS AND "OPEN CHART"... //
// NOW YOU CAN GET A BETTER IDEA OF HOW IT WORKS...                                                             //
// IT IS ALSO RECOMMENDED TO SEARCH ONLINE TO LEARN MORE ON HOW TO USE THIS INDICATOR                           //
//                                                                                                              //
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

////Always type "double" then the "name" you want to give, then "=" , then your indicator code...
///NOTE: The strategy tester can only give results at the end of each bar on a chart.
///This is why we use "1" as our shift instead of "0".
///If we use 1 then the advisor makes its calculation immediatly after the last bar has closed.
///You can still use "0" , but the strategy tester will not pick up on it...

double RSI1=iRSI(NULL,0,8,0,1);

///NOTE: TO MAKE LIFE EASIER, USE THE INPUT PARAMETERS FROM TOP OF PAGE.
///THIS ALLOWS YOU TO ADJUST SETTINGS FROM THE STRATEGY TESTER
///HERE IS THE SAME INDICATOR THAT IS NOW CUSTOMIZABLE THROUGH THE STRATEGY TESTER:

double RSI1CUSTOM=iRSI(NULL,0,period,applied_price,barshift);

//leave the first two "NULL" and "0". Null means it will trade any chart its on and 0 means it will use the chart timeframe that it is attached to.

//-------------------------------------------------------------------
// Opening criteria for buy and sell orders
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment("TEMPLATE INDICATOR AUTOTRADER");

//OPEN SELL//

//USE "&&" TO ADD MORE CONDITIONS IN BRACKETS...

if((RSI1CUSTOM>70)&&(halt1!=1)&&(TradeTimeOk==1) && Day()>= 5 && Day() <= 15{
int opensell=OrderSend(Symbol(),OP_SELL,Lots,Bid,Slip,0,0,"TEMPLATE",MagicNumber1,0,Green);
 }

//OPEN BUY//

//USE "&&" TO ADD MORE CONDITIONS IN BRACKETS...

if((RSI1CUSTOM<30)&&(halt2!=1)&&(TradeTimeOk==1) && Day()>= 5 && Day() <= 15{
int openbuy=OrderSend(Symbol(),OP_BUY,Lots,Ask,Slip,0,0,"TEMPLATE",MagicNumber2,0,Blue);

}

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Closing criteria for buy and sell orders
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if(openbuy>=0||opensell>=0)

{// start

if(OrdersTotal()>=0){
  for(i=1; i<=OrdersTotal(); i++){          // Cycle searching in orders

if (OrderSelect(i-1,SELECT_BY_POS)==true){ // If the next is available...

//SELL CLOSE//
//if((OrderMagicNumber()==MagicNumber1)&&(RSI1<30)){
//int sellclose=OrderClose(OrderTicket(),Lots,Ask,Slip,Red);
//}

//BUY CLOSE//
//if((OrderMagicNumber()==MagicNumber2)&&(RSI1>70)){
//int buyclose=OrderClose(OrderTicket(),Lots,Bid,Slip,Red);

//}

////take profit and stoploss code///Do not change this code.
//Just change takeprofit and stoploss settings in "Input Parameters"
//If you do not need takeprofit or stoploss you can delete these 4 lines of code...

if((OrderMagicNumber()==MagicNumber2)&&(OrderTakeProfit()==0)&&(OrderSymbol()==Symbol())){ int modify1=OrderModify(OrderTicket(),0,OrderStopLoss(),tpb,0,CLR_NONE); }
 if((OrderMagicNumber()==MagicNumber1)&&(OrderTakeProfit()==0)&&(OrderSymbol()==Symbol())){ int modify2=OrderModify(OrderTicket(),0,OrderStopLoss(),tps,0,CLR_NONE); }
 if((OrderMagicNumber()==MagicNumber2)&&(OrderStopLoss()==0)&&(OrderSymbol()==Symbol())){ int modify3=OrderModify(OrderTicket(),0,slb,OrderTakeProfit(),0,CLR_NONE); }
 if((OrderMagicNumber()==MagicNumber1)&&(OrderStopLoss()==0)&&(OrderSymbol()==Symbol())){ int modify4=OrderModify(OrderTicket(),0,sls,OrderTakeProfit(),0,CLR_NONE); }

}
     }

}
}
}// stop /// Do Not Alter The Following Code ///

//----
int Error=GetLastError();
  if(Error==130){Alert("Wrong stops. Retrying."); RefreshRates();}
  if(Error==133){Alert("Trading prohibited.");}
  if(Error==2){Alert("Common error.");}
  if(Error==146){Alert("Trading subsystem is busy. Retrying."); Sleep(500); RefreshRates();}

//----

//-------------------------------------------------------------------
BarsCount=Bars;
return(0);

}

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

When you post code please use the CODE button (Alt-S)!

Use the CODE button

1. Please edit your (original) post and use the CODE button (Alt-S)! (For large amounts of code, attach it.)
              General rules and best pratices of the Forum. - General - MQL5 programming forum 2019.05.06
              Messages Editor

2. Why did you post your MT4 question in the MT5 General section instead of the MQL4 section, (bottom of the Root page)?
              General rules and best pratices of the Forum. - General - MQL5 programming forum?
    Next time post in the correct place. The moderators will likely move this thread there soon.

3. sbm80: However, the orders don't seem to obey the RSI criteria, could someone please help?

Use the debugger or print out your variables, including _LastError and prices and find out why. Do you really expect us to debug your code for you?

William Roeder:
  1. Please edit your (original) post and use the CODE button (Alt-S)! (For large amounts of code, attach it.)
              General rules and best pratices of the Forum. - General - MQL5 programming forum 2019.05.06
              Messages Editor

2. Why did you post your MT4 question in the MT5 General section instead of the MQL4 section, (bottom of the Root page)?
              General rules and best pratices of the Forum. - General - MQL5 programming forum?
    Next time post in the correct place. The moderators will likely move this thread there soon.

3. Use the debugger or print out your variables, including _LastError and prices and find out why. Do you really expect us to debug your code for you?

I’m quite new to this, so don’t know everything, your response is arrogant, rude and patronising, I’m just asking for help, don’t be so aggressive.

sbm80: your response is arrogant, rude and patronising, I’m just asking for help, don’t be so aggressive.
  1. The rudeness here, is people expecting coding done, for free, just because they ask. That is what 12-year-olds do. Adults, don't expect handouts, they work for what they want. There are no slaves here.

2. No free help.

3. If they just want a freebe, or start whining when they don't get it, then they need to grow up. They've wasted our time with their post, so they don't deserve niceness. Political Correctness is trying to pick up a turd by the clean end. The more you do it the worse it gets.

William Roeder:
  1. The rudeness here, is people expecting coding done, for free, just because they ask. That is what 12-year-olds do. Adults, don't expect handouts, they work for what they want. There are no slaves here.

2. No free help.

3. If they just want a freebe, or start whining when they don't get it, then they need to grow up. They've wasted our time with their post, so they don't deserve niceness. Political Correctness is trying to pick up a turd by the clean end. The more you do it the worse it gets.

No, that's what forums are for; asking for help when you get stuck, perhaps I didn't ask the question in the perfect manner, which was highlighted to me by Sergey, but there was NOTHING rude about it. I wasn't asking for coding to be done for free, so stop putting words in my mouth. 12 year olds do what YOU are doing; giving rude, arrogant over-reactive responses.

sbm80:

You have been asked twice already.

Please edit your post and use the code button (Alt+S) when pasting code.

EDIT your original post, please do not just post the code correctly in a new post.

Yet you still haven't done it.

Keith Watford:

You have been asked twice already.

Please edit your post and use the code button (Alt+S) when pasting code.

EDIT your original post, please do not just post the code correctly in a new post.

Yet you still haven't done it.

So as a moderator you prioritise perfect code formatting over addressing the utter rudeness of other members?

sbm80: So as a moderator you prioritise perfect code formatting over addressing the utter rudeness of other members?

I'm not a moderator but I will answer in the name of the users.

YES!

Because if it is not properly formatted we cannot read it properly in order to analyse it and respond!

After analysing it, I can say this ... it has errors and it won't even compile! Did you post the code correctly?

Take for example the following:

if((RSI1CUSTOM>70)&&(halt1!=1)&&(TradeTimeOk==1) && Day()>= 5 && Day() <= 15{
int opensell=OrderSend(Symbol(),OP_SELL,Lots,Bid,Slip,0,0,"TEMPLATE",MagicNumber1,0,Green);
 }

If you run it through the styler, you can clearly see that it is missing a bracket for the condition:

if( (RSI1CUSTOM>70) && (halt1!=1) && (TradeTimeOk==1) && Day()>= 5 && Day() <= 15 // Missing a bracket
{
  int opensell=OrderSend(Symbol(), OP_SELL, Lots, Bid, Slip, 0, 0, "TEMPLATE", MagicNumber1, 0, Green);
}

So, please fix up the compile errors first and make sure to fix the warnings too, then retest it and post it here again, if you are still running into problems.

EDIT: You are also using very old type MQL4 code which may even be obsolete in some cases. Try to code in proper modern MQL4+ code and use proper styling. Use the built-in styler if you have to.

Also, structure your code in a more organised way. Your code is much too "stringy", making it difficult to read as well as to analyse and spot the problems.

Don't write such long lines.

if((OrderMagicNumber()==MagicNumber2)&&(OrderTakeProfit()==0)&&(OrderSymbol()==Symbol())){ int modify1=OrderModify(OrderTicket(),0,OrderStopLoss(),tpb,0,CLR_NONE); }
if((OrderMagicNumber()==MagicNumber1)&&(OrderTakeProfit()==0)&&(OrderSymbol()==Symbol())){ int modify2=OrderModify(OrderTicket(),0,OrderStopLoss(),tps,0,CLR_NONE); }
if((OrderMagicNumber()==MagicNumber2)&&(OrderStopLoss()==0)&&(OrderSymbol()==Symbol())){ int modify3=OrderModify(OrderTicket(),0,slb,OrderTakeProfit(),0,CLR_NONE); }
if((OrderMagicNumber()==MagicNumber1)&&(OrderStopLoss()==0)&&(OrderSymbol()==Symbol())){ int modify4=OrderModify(OrderTicket(),0,sls,OrderTakeProfit(),0,CLR_NONE); }
No need to repeatedly call functions when the value never changes between calls. Save the results as variables. Break it down and organise the logic so that will be easier to read and and spot the problems.