I need help to get email notifications working in MT4 (it works fine in MT5)

Hello everyone,

I cannot get email notifications in MT4 to work, even though it appears to be very straightforward.

The journal tells me Mail: 'Test message' failed

I use the newest version of MT4, v 4.00 build 1265.

In MT5 it works perfectly with the same settings (see attachment).

I followed the manual precisely and searched this form for help. I also tried different email addresses besides gmail, GMX and others, allowed access of less secure apps in gmail etc, to no avail.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matthias

Files:
mail_MT4.jpg  68 kb

Hi , 

I am having the exact same problem.  It works fine in MT5 with GMX and with GMAIL, but I cannot get it to work at all in MT4!! Any help from anybody would be much appreciated.  Thank you. 

Please note that MT4 does not support the newer TLS encryptions that some services require:

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

email alert in Metatrader 4

Fernando Carreiro, 2022.09.06 15:32

According to the test email message headers ...

• MetaTrader v4 is using TLS v1.0 ... "(TLS1) tls TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA"
  • MetaTrader v5 is using TLS v1.2 ... "(TLS1.2) tls TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384"

You may need to use a relay service:

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

email alert in Metatrader 4

Fernando Carreiro, 2022.09.13 11:10

Please do a Google search for "smtp relay service". You should find may providers for this. Some will offer what you want and other's not.

As an alternative, (it has been a long time since I last used this), but you can also install a local SMTP relay service on your PC or on 3rd party VPS.

• If you are using Windows Server then it should be available as part of the IIS package and you will just need to set it up and configure it.
  • If on normal Windows, then you can find many open-source SMTP relay service applications on GItHub and other sites.

You can then configure the relay service to receive emails from MetaTrader in TLS 1.0 but then connect to the other SMTP servers with a high version of TLS.

You will have to do your own research on how to install and configure the SMTP relay service.