Computer Processor, system requirements for MetaTrader 5

Hello guys,

I'd like to know if it makes a difference for manual, discretionary trading on MetaTrader 5 how many cores your computer processor has?

I don't have a clue, but I'm interested in understanding how the technical aspect works here.

Let's say you always have about four charts open in the panel, 2 indices, oil, gold, or 4 forex pairs for example - does MetaTrader use one core of the processor for each of the charts by default if available? Does it make a difference? Are two cores acceptable or not enough?

And how about loading and displaying chart history - when I change from 15min to daily timeframe for example and change way pack in the history - how about that?

When I loaded all the history the broker provides - does it affect the workload of the computer system every time I log into MetaTrader 5 from now on or only the one time I download the data from the servers of the broker and then the data is there and doesn't load every time?

And what part of the computer system is used in charting, in showing tick/candle-movements and the actual trading (submitting orders)? (processor, RAM, hard drive?)

In the sense of the examples I provided, doing manual trading without backtesting EAs, can I work with a processor having 2 cores, 16GB RAM, 128 GB SSD?

Thanks for explaining the technical aspect a little!

Yes no problem.

From your computer's perspective you are moving slower then a snail.

It sees with many thousands of frames per second.

You forgot to mention one thing: Internet Connection.

Of course any computer will be useless for manual trading if it doesn't have a fast and decent stable connection.

Marco vd Heijden:

Yes no problem.

From your computer's perspective you are moving slower then a snail.

It sees with many thousands of frames per second.

You forgot to mention one thing: Internet Connection.

Of course any computer will be useless for manual trading if it doesn't have a fast and decent stable connection.

Sorry, I think I don't understand your answer:

You say 'Yes no problem' -> means, I can trade with these system specifications without a problem?

Then you say 'From your computer's perspective you are moving slower then a snail.' -> means: serious problem to trade with your computer system?

Can you or somebody please elaborate on the topic? I made a detailed post saying I'd like to understand. Right now I don't understand much.

Let's say I have 2 cores, 2,3Ghz. Then I buy newer processor, 4 cores, but same 2,3Ghz. Does this make a difference on MetaTrader 5??

Yes the system you proposed can be used for trading.

For manual trading you do not need much.

But if you plan to automate then fast and powerful hardware can help.