For an Absolute Beginner

Hello masters,

I had a degree in Math and Statics. I finished a couple of computer programming course back in the university, so I have a basic understanding of stuff like for, while ... etc. I have a passion in Forex trading and been trading for many years. I want to start learning MT4 programming so I can code some very simple EA myself.

There is a book online called: Expert Advisor Programming for MetaTrader 4 by Mr. Young. Some of the reviews saying it's not worth buying because online libarary is useful enough and way more powerful.

Can someonne guide me where to start from beginning in details, I need to start right away since this covid-19 pandemic, perfect time for me to pick up some coding lessons on my own.

Thank you guys so much.

mn...

mnmnmmnnmnmn:

Hello masters,

I had a degree in Math and Statics. I finished a couple of computer programming course back in the university, so I have a basic understanding of stuff like for, while ... etc. I have a passion in Forex trading and been trading for many years. I want to start learning MT4 programming so I can code some very simple EA myself.

There is a book online called: Expert Advisor Programming for MetaTrader 4 by Mr. Young. Some of the reviews saying it's not worth buying because online libarary is useful enough and way more powerful.

Can someonne guide me where to start from beginning in details, I need to start right away since this covid-19 pandemic, perfect time for me to pick up some coding lessons on my own.

Thank you guys so much.

mn...

Hi,

Same as any other programming language start from basic, if u familiar with c++ it will be more easy. Start from https://docs.mql4.com go through important things not complex make a plan and start to build a very simple ea or script. or start with "hello world" classic programming. once u familiar then check some codebase and start modifying for fun or for your requirement.

My suggesting is that try mql5 than mql4 as mt4 is obsolete but its your choice have fun.

MQL4 Reference
MQL4 Reference
  • docs.mql4.com
MetaQuotes Language 4 (MQL4) is a built-in language for programming trading strategies. This language is developed by MetaQuotes Ltd. based on their long experience in the creation of online trading platforms. Using this language, you can create your own Expert Advisors that make trading management automated and are perfectly suitable for...

Kumar:

Hi,

Same as any other programming language start from basic, if u familiar with c++ it will be more easy. Start from https://docs.mql4.com go through important things not complex make a plan and start to build a very simple ea or script. or start with "hello world" classic programming. once u familiar then check some codebase and start modifying for fun or for your requirement.

My suggesting is that try mql5 than mql4 as mt4 is obsolete but its your choice have fun.

Thanks Kumar for your advice. Will do.