Discussion of article "Applying Monte Carlo method in reinforcement learning"

New article Applying Monte Carlo method in reinforcement learning has been published:

In the article, we will apply Reinforcement learning to develop self-learning Expert Advisors. In the previous article, we considered the Random Decision Forest algorithm and wrote a simple self-learning EA based on Reinforcement learning. The main advantages of such an approach (trading algorithm development simplicity and high "training" speed) were outlined. Reinforcement learning (RL) is easily incorporated into any trading EA and speeds up its optimization.

After stopping the optimization, simply enable the single test mode (since the best model is written to the file and only that model is to be uploaded):

Let's scroll the history for two months back and see how the model works for the full four months:

We can see that the resulting model lasted another month (almost the entire September), while breaking down in August.

Author: Maxim Dmitrievsky

MetaQuotes Software Corp.:

New article Applying Monte Carlo method in reinforcement learning has been published:

Thank you. Is it possible to make the training using the GPU instead of CPU?

jaffer wilson:

Thank you. Is it possible to make the training using the GPU instead of CPU?

Yes, if you rewrite all logic (RF include) on open cl kernels :) also random forest has worst gpu feasibility and parallelism 

Thank you Maxim.

I have been playing with the code and introduced different types of data for the feature input vectors.  I have tried Close, Open, High, Low, Price Typical, Tick Volumes and derivatives of these.

I was having problems with the Optimiser complaining about "some error after the pass completed", but I finally managed to track this down: the optimiser errors occur if the input vector data has any zero values.

Where I was building a derivative, e.g. Close[1]-Close[2], sometimes the close values are the same giving a derivative of zero. For these types of input vector values I found the simplest fix was to add a constant, say 1000, to all vector values.  This cured the optimiser errors and yet allowed the RDF to function.

I have also noticed the unintended consequence of running the same tests over and over, the amount of curve fitting increases for the period tested.  Sometimes it is better to delete the recorded RDF files and run the optimisation again.

I am still experimenting and have more ideas for other types of feature. 

Mark Flint:

Thank you Maxim.

I have been playing with the code and introduced different types of data for the feature input vectors.  I have tried Close, Open, High, Low, Price Typical, Tick Volumes and derivatives of these.

I was having problems with the Optimiser complaining about "some error after the pass completed", but I finally managed to track this down: the optimiser errors occur if the input vector data has any zero values.

Where I was building a derivative, e.g. Close[1]-Close[2], sometimes the close values are the same giving a derivative of zero. For these types of input vector values I found the simplest fix was to add a constant, say 1000, to all vector values.  This cured the optimiser errors and yet allowed the RDF to function.

I have also noticed the unintended consequence of running the same tests over and over, the amount of curve fitting increases for the period tested.  Sometimes it is better to delete the recorded RDF files and run the optimisation again.

I am still experimenting and have more ideas for other types of feature. 

Hi, Mark. Depends of feature selection algorithm (in case of this article it's 1 feature/another feature (using price returns) in "recursive elimination func"), so if you have "0" in divider this "some error" can occur if you are using cl[1]-cl[2].  

Yes, different optimizer runs can differ, because its used a random sampling, also RDF random algorithm. To fix this you can use MathSrand(number_of_passes) in expert OnInint() func, or another fixed number. 

Maxim Dmitrievsky:

Yes, if you rewrite all logic (RF include) on open cl kernels :) also random forest has worst gpu feasibility and parallelism 

Hey maxim, i was just looking at your code. i noticed that even though the files with best model , features and parameter values are saved during optimization (" OFFLINE") . The Update agent policy  and Update agent reward  are also " OFFLINE " if you decide to run your EA , so how are the rewards and policy being updated while the EA is running live  since MQLInfoInteger(MQL_OPTIMIZATION) == true in offline mode and when running on a demo or live account with your EA MQLInfoInteger(MQL_OPTIMIZATION) == false . Am missing  something  ????

//+------------------------------------------------------------------+
//|Update agent policy                                               |
CRLAgent::updatePolicy(double action,double &featuresValues[]) {
   if(MQLInfoInteger(MQL_OPTIMIZATION)) {
      numberOfsamples++;
      RDFpolicyMatrix.Resize(numberOfsamples,features+2);
      //input variables
      for(int i=0;i<features;i++)
         RDFpolicyMatrix[numberOfsamples-1].Set(i,featuresValues[i]);
      //output variables
      RDFpolicyMatrix[numberOfsamples-1].Set(features,action);
      RDFpolicyMatrix[numberOfsamples-1].Set(features+1,1-action);
     }
  }
//|Update agent reward                                               |
CRLAgent::updateReward(void) {
   if(MQLInfoInteger(MQL_OPTIMIZATION)) {
      if(getLastProfit()>0) return;
      double randomReward = (getLastOrderType()==0) ? 1 : 0;
      RDFpolicyMatrix[numberOfsamples-1].Set(features,randomReward);
      RDFpolicyMatrix[numberOfsamples-1].Set(features+1,1-randomReward);
     }
  }

developeralgo:

Hey maxim, i was just looking at your code. i noticed that even though the files with best model , features and parameter values are saved during optimization (" OFFLINE") . The Update agent policy  and Update agent reward  are also " OFFLINE " if you decide to run your EA , so how are the rewards and policy being updated while the EA is running live  since MQLInfoInteger(MQL_OPTIMIZATION) == true in offline mode and when running on a demo or live account with your EA MQLInfoInteger(MQL_OPTIMIZATION) == false . Am missing  something  ????

Hi, policy and rewards are not updated in real trading, it is only needed for learning random forest in the optimizer.

MetaQuotes Software Corp.:

there is this file which is missing, " #include <MT4Orders.mqh> "   and the fonctions look like MT4 fonction.

So is it an MT4 expert or an MT5 expert?

ffoorr:

there is this file which is missing, " #include <MT4Orders.mqh> "   and the fonctions look like MT4 fonction.

So is it an MT4 expert or an MT5 expert?

This library allows you to use mt4 orders style in mt5

https://www.mql5.com/ru/code/16006

MT4Orders
MT4Orders
  • www.mql5.com
Данная библиотека позволяет работать с ордерами в MQL5 (MT5-hedge) точно так же, как в MQL4. Т.е. ордерная языковая система (ОЯС) становится идентичной MQL4. При этом сохраняется возможность параллельно использовать MQL5-ордерную систему. В частности, стандартная MQL5-библиотека будет продолжать полноценно работать. Выбор между ордерными...

Maxim Dmitrievsky:

ok thank you

Hi Maxim, thank u for your work, i was trying to test your code, however it shows me some errors in the mq4 file with the following text

'getRDFstructure' - function already defined and has different type RL_Monte_Carlo.mqh 76 11

'RecursiveElimination' - function already defined and has different type RL_Monte_Carlo.mqh 133 11

'updatePolicy' - function already defined and has different type RL_Monte_Carlo.mqh 221 11

'updateReward' - function already defined and has different type RL_Monte_Carlo.mqh 236 11

'setAgentSettings' - function already defined and has different type RL_Monte_Carlo.mqh 361 12

'updatePolicies' - function already defined and has different type RL_Monte_Carlo.mqh 373 12

'updateRewards' - function already defined and has different type RL_Monte_Carlo.mqh 380 12

Do you know how to solve that issue?