Text editor to work on big files (above 100MB) - page 4

Alain Verleyen:

I am used to work with Notepad++ in addition to MetaEditor, mainly to analyze log/data files.

However when working with big files NotePad++ starts to become very slow or even can't open the file a too big.

Anyone has some experiences with this and could maybe suggest some good alternatives ?

Rafael Caetano Pinto:
use TextPad, is simple but powerful:

https://www.textpad.com/

Textpad is a good alternative to Notepad++ indeed. Have them both installed. Textpad handles large files with ease. I regularly have multiple 250MB+ files open. A nice addition is that custom syntax definitions for MQL can be made.

Alain Verleyen:

I am used to work with Notepad++ in addition to MetaEditor, mainly to analyze log/data files.

However when working with big files NotePad++ starts to become very slow or even can't open the file a too big.

Anyone has some experiences with this and could maybe suggest some good alternatives ?

Marco vd Heijden:

I found this one to be among the best when it comes to really large files.

Others will stutter or even freeze but this one slices through like a hot knife through butter.

Gedit is definitely the best choice for gui linux. I prefer nano for cli opposed to vim.

For best performance, most functionalities and highest limits analyze (or edit) by streams with for example cat, grep/sed, head and tail.