Metatrader on a Stick and mobile solutions

Hi all!

Does anyone uses Metatrader on a Stick? And no, it's not for barbecuing :P. It's like having a Windows 10 with Metatrader installed so you can just plug into a monitor, desktop or a laptop to use it at cyber cafes, library computers, friend's house and other places.

I've seen products like Bben sticks, but I lack the experience on using them.

Thanks all!

Arthur Albano: Does anyone uses Metatrader on a Stick? And no, it's not for barbecuing :P. It's like having a Windows 10 with Metatrader installed so you can just plug into a monitor, desktop or a laptop to use it at cyber cafes, library computers, friend's house and other places. I've seen products like Bben sticks, but I lack the experience on using them.

Just set it up in "Portable" mode: https://www.metatrader5.com/en/terminal/help/start_advanced/start

Portable Mode

When installed to Program Files, the platform works in the main mode described above on default. All the platform data are stored in a special Windows user directory. However you can force the platform to store its data in the installation folder. To do it, run the platform in the portable mode. To use this mode, start the platform from the command line with the additional /portable key. For example, "C:\Program Files\MyTerminal\terminal.exe /portable".

To run the platform in the Portable mode, the following conditions must be met:

• If the platform is installed in the Program Files folder, the user must have administrator rights on the computer. In addition, UAC (User Account Control) must be disabled in the operating system.
  • If the platform is installed in any other folder, the user must have permission to write data to that folder.
Platform Start - For Advanced Users - MetaTrader 5
Platform Start - For Advanced Users - MetaTrader 5
  • www.metatrader5.com
After installation, a group of programs of the trading platform is added to the Start menu, and the program shortcut is created on the desktop. Use them to run the platform. Two copies of the platform cannot run from the same directory. If you need to run multiple copies at the same time, install the appropriate number of programs in different...

It's portable mode right? I'm using a webtrader platform..

You can on Linux.

Marco vd Heijden: You can on Linux.

You can also run a portable version of Windows of a USB flash drive, but it is somewhat more complex to setup than Linux!

Fernando Carreiro:

You can also run a portable version of Windows of a USB flash drive, but it is somewhat more complex to setup than Linux!

And stick it in any computer to boot it up?

Is't that causing issues with drivers and all that ?

I have never seen that before.

While Linux has always been able to do that flawlessly. 

Marco vd Heijden:

And stick it in any computer to boot it up?

Is't that causing issues with drivers and all that ?

I have never seen that before.

While Linux has always been able to do that flawlessly. 

Yes, exactly that! You just have to include all the possible drivers (or standard ones for default functionality), just like what you do on Linux!

Do a search on the web "How to run Windows off a USB Flash Drive". You will find several sites describing the process!

I have one such setup, for diagnostic purposes when a PC is having issues and I need a clean boot!

Oh i won't switch to Windows, ever.