Fixed chart position does not work on MT5

Hi everyone.

I am trying to start using MT5 instead of MT4, because of it's new functionalities. I have 10+ years experience with MT4 and could say I feel as an expert in it's use. So, in MT5 I try to use some useful functionalities like 

Fixed chart position.

When you try to use Fixed chart position on a given tab, let say at H1 and you click on M5 or worse - on M1, the screen does not update properly and makes whatever it decides. After that is necessary to adjust the screen manually and to search for your moment of interest as you are completely lost. Evidently, before trying to switch the time frame I adjust the triangle to the appropriate candle.

On the attached screenshots you can see a H1 and M5 graphics. The red vertical line on H1 graphics is showing the candle I am looking for on H1. The same line is visible also on M5, but the blue line is showing the position that the graphics is opening when I switch the time frames.  

I try to find somewhere on the Net something concerning this problem, but found nothing. I thing this functionality is very important for a back testing or simply for analyzing data. So, does anyone on this forum knows a solution how to fix this problem or probably it is a bug in MT5?

Thanks in advance for your consideration and help!

Zack

You are right, it doesn't work like MT4, when you switch timeframe the position is lost.

But it works as documented :

The selected bar stays in this position when you zoom the chart. The position stays fixed until you change the chart timeframe.

I don't know why they changed this feature behaviour from MT4, you can write to ServiceDesk for more explanation or change request.

Chart Management - Additional Features - MetaTrader 5
Chart Management - Additional Features - MetaTrader 5
  • www.metatrader5.com
Commands in these menus are identical (except for "Save As Picture" and "Delete Indicators Window" that are available only in the context menu) and allow to manage chart settings: — refresh the chart window. When you refresh the chart, the price data displayed on it are also recalculated based on one-minute data stored on the computer...

zackv:

Hi everyone.

I am trying to start using MT5 instead of MT4, because of it's new functionalities. I have 10+ years experience with MT4 and could say I feel as an expert in it's use. So, in MT5 I try to use some useful functionalities like 

Fixed chart position.

When you try to use Fixed chart position on a given tab, let say at H1 and you click on M5 or worse - on M1, the screen does not update properly and makes whatever it decides. After that is necessary to adjust the screen manually and to search for your moment of interest as you are completely lost. Evidently, before trying to switch the time frame I adjust the triangle to the appropriate candle.

On the attached screenshots you can see a H1 and M5 graphics. The red vertical line on H1 graphics is showing the candle I am looking for on H1. The same line is visible also on M5, but the blue line is showing the position that the graphics is opening when I switch the time frames.  

I try to find somewhere on the Net something concerning this problem, but found nothing. I thing this functionality is very important for a back testing or simply for analyzing data. So, does anyone on this forum knows a solution how to fix this problem or probably it is a bug in MT5?

Thanks in advance for your consideration and help!

Zack

Maybe there's another forum topic somewhere about this, but what I see it doing is, if you are switching DOWN from a higher TF, the bar that is at the farthest left on your visible chart moves to the carat/triangle for Fixed Position in the lower TF.  Switching Up however is not as predictable. M1->M5->M15 stays the same or moves one bar but ->H1 jumps to the right of the visible chart.  Makes little sense and would be great to have it fixed.  I don't know who to write to.

Ric

I had issues with it not holding position or locking to a bar so when I went from say D1 to M15 I would lose the date, I had other indicators on my template (ATR, Volume, RSI) so I turned on (checked) "Chart on foreground" in chart properties (right click on chart) in the common section, I guess maybe one of the other indicators had the focus so the "fixed chart position" tool couldn't lock to the bar/candle on the chart as I was expecting it to because its focus was one of the other indicators (ATR, Volume, RSI).