Why is it better MT5 than MT4?? Does it have fewer limitations ??? [UPDATED] - page 2

Jose Francisco Casado Fernandez:
I used to program in mt4 since 2008.  I like it very much.  I  could do just about everything using mt4.  I wrote EAs, scripts and mtf indicators.  I wrote EAs that read customer files subscribed to my signal service.  I could output neat-looking html files that my clients could subscribe to.  I wrote my own tick chart indicator.

I did not like mt5 when I first looked at it.
But when I switched to volume spread analysis and order flow analysis on Oct 2017, I found out that mt5 is the way to go.  Mt5 gives you the real tick info.  I went thru the documentation and examples on mql5.com.  In a very short time, I was able to build a barebone EA in mt5 without using the built-in mqh files.  I was able to program without using OOP.

Kudos to metaquotes.  They made mt4 which is already very powerful to a much powerful and better mt5.

I'm just wondering if someone here have used mt5 as HFT EA.

mt4 > during backtesting, drawing tools available

mt5> during backtesting draw tools NOT AVAILABLE............wtf

mt4> add multiple indicators during backtesting, with the click of a button

mt5> CAN'T ADD MULTIPLE INDICATORS DURING BACKTESTING, with the click of a button............wtf

fixed****

I have only used mt5 for 10 mins, identifying these 2 aspects not being included. Just shows the misguided concepts of developers compared to traders.

Richard Caughell:

mt4 > during backtesting, drawing tools available 

mt5> Cant do that.............wtf

mt4> add multiple indicators during backtesting, with the click of a button

mt5> Cant do that............wtf

mt4> CAN HEDGE up the waahzoooo

mt5> no hedging.............Biggest ball drop! 

I have only used mt5 for 10 mins, identifying these 3 aspects not being included. Just shows the misguided concepts of developers compared to traders.

https://www.metatrader5.com/en/news/715

MetaTrader 5 Now Features Hedging Option
MetaTrader 5 Now Features Hedging Option
  • MetaQuotes Software Corp.
  • www.metatrader5.com
Today, MetaQuotes Software Corp. has released a new version of the MetaTrader 5 trading platform build 1325. The most important feature added is the hedging option, which until recently was only supported in MetaTrader 4. Now the platform permits users to open opposite positions of the same financial instrument. The introduction of the widely...

fixed my post, this is huge.............................thank you

Comparison of MetaTrader 5 and MetaTrader 4 for brokers
Comparison of MetaTrader 5 and MetaTrader 4 for brokers
  • www.metatrader5.com
Advantages of MetaTrader 5 - multi-asset support, WhiteLabel licenses, advanced Back-end functionality, distributed architecture, connectivity gateways and API.

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Does it make sense to move from MT4 to MT5? Why did you switch to MT5?

Renat Fatkhullin , 2019.02.08 23:07

I want to bring you closer to reality, taking into account the discussions of the branch. What should be done so that everyone finally switched to MT5? (collection of opinions) :

1. MetaTrader 5 is faster in trading operations

The architecture of the five is much more efficient than the four. All processes are rebuilt to allow trading with minimal delays.

With asynchronous (and without them) operations, you can maximize several thousand trade operations per second. Everything is built for the sake of speed, including the prioritization of trade operations.

In the four, it is not even close to be done.

2. Robots work up to 20 times faster in MetaTrader 5

This is due to the fact that the five uses the C ++ level compiler, which makes the code extremely effective. At the four the old system of execution is used without code optimization.

Greater speed means less delays and better performance.

3. In MetaTrader 5, you can process huge amounts of data.

Who is engaged in deep development, that knows volumes of the stored data in directories of the five. There are often dozens of gigabytes of historical data, including full tick data.

At the five, storing and issuing full tick data is non-switchable feature. There is no need to make mistakes on this score, thinking that if tick data is not shown on the chart, it means there are none.

Here is a simple code that runs on a real account of the Open broker and the symbol of the RTS Splice, which is the gluing of all futures contracts of the RTS index for many years:
     void OnStart ()
      {
       MqlTick ticks[];
       int      records= CopyTicks ( Symbol (),ticks, COPY_TICKS_ALL , 0 , 1000000000 );
    //---
       Print ( Symbol (), " ticks " ,records);   
      }

it gives 472 million ticks:
    RTS Splice ticks 472 111 564

Yes, 472 million ticks in one request. Then do what you want with them.

This gives absolute control over the data. You can get billions of ticks. Have time to just kick a broker to take care of historical data. This is HIS DIRECT WORK AND RESPONSIBILITY.

Two lines of code and complete data in your hands. Who is talking about the complexity of MQL5 ???

In the four, this is not in principle.

4. MetaTrader 5 has a very accurate multi-character tester with millisecond precision.

This allows you to drive very complex strategies and have more guarantees that your strategy is not self-deception.

You write direct code, and the tester assumes all the complexity of modeling the whole variety of the market.

From time to time, traders boast that they can write their simple test many times faster, but all this is at the level of a cheap run of the for cycle on bars. Not to mention the complete exclusion of the whole variety of market conditions, instruments and margin requirements.

And we have not only the most detailed modeling, including accurate conversion of all profits into the balance sheet, but also the collection of all statistical information along with a history of changes in floating equity / funds.

In the four, it is not even close.

5. MetaTrader 5 Tester has an amazing function to account for execution delays.

The trade mode with a given network delay allows you to completely disqualify most of the scalping strategies that are fabulous in the tester, but ruinous in real life.

It is enough even to add 50-100 ms of delay, in order to worsen many strategies at times.

The power of this function is built on the basis of accurate modeling of the market environment, when even the Sleep (ms) in the tester works out as in reality. We are able to simultaneously twist the development of the market, creating delays for the expert himself, which allows us to efficiently work out the actual performance.

Enough to play with your network latency, increase it a couple of times to test the robustness of your robot. At the same time, check the quality of working out requotes and failures.

In the four there is? Of course not.

6. 64 bit system of the five allows you to operate with a huge number of charts and a deep history

This is very important when you are involved in complex analysis or scanning of a variety of symbols and timeframes. You can keep in memory and operate with thousands of charts (symbol + period) and be sure that they are available instantly.

Some traders say that they need little and that they have enough scanty data of four. But in reality, data analysis rates are constantly growing.

My opinion is that the amount of data in the top five is still not enough. We are constantly working to improve the efficiency and speed of data delivery. Constantly tuning performance so that huge data is always at hand and quickly accessible from MQL5.

7. Using a multi-threaded tester, settlement and cloud servers

The main costs in strategy development are strategy optimization. It is in this area that we have invested very seriously.

You can use all of your local cores, build a calculated farm in your local network, or connect the MQL5 Cloud Network . This allows tens and hundreds of times to speed up optimization.

8. MetaTrader 5 has glasses and execution on multiple gateways

This is not very well known to traders, but the five have a powerful system of aggregation of various liquidity providers and a flexible system for transferring transactions to lynx providers.

ECN, liquidity aggregation and the match engine allow you to effectively implement the best price execution strategies and support multiple markets from one account.

9. In the five there is no limit on the amount of data

You can request huge amounts of historical data charts (the limit before 1970) and the history of transactions.

Do you have a million transactions in your account history? No problem. Memory just add.

10. Qualitatively different architect charts and object management

You can manage your charts much more efficiently and disable the charts altogether for the sake of your constructions.

Use the window as you want with graphics or canvas .

11. Huge standard library

Here is the standard MQL5 library . There is math at the level of the R language, data collections, OpenCL, graphics, and so on.

Most traders are not aware of the fact that we implemented hundreds of mathematical and statistical functions from the R package in the source code. They allow you to do many complex mathematical tasks several times faster (from 5 to 50 times) than is available in R.

Yes, programs in source code in MQL5 tear up the C ++ implementation speed up to 50 times.

12. Custom symbols, custom glasses, synthetic symbols and simple data import

In the top five, you can easily create your own symbols, including price glasses. Create them from MQL5 code and feed them into riltime from MQL5 code. You can build synthetic symbols using formulas.

That is, MetaTrader 5 has become an independent analytical platform long ago, where you can analyze any other data. Any MQL5 program can work as data feed.

13. Well, a lot of other features repeatedly described

It should be understood that:

• Technologies are constantly evolving and those who remain on the old and calm themselves with mantras about sufficiency, remain behind

• Yes, this is a technological race. First and foremost for traders

• MQL4 and MQL5 languages are absolutely identical in complexity.

It is really funny to listen to statements about the simplicity of MQL4, when there is absolutely the same complexity. ABSOLUTELY SIMPLE.

Or it is necessary to recognize that a couple of additional parameters is a universal problem for a programmer. Of course not. This is a beautiful legend for stumbling over the old.

• I repeated it many times and I repeat it again - programs are written by professional developers.

Less than 2% of users use the code editor. Most of the traders are downloading the ready from the market, as well as from the code base without analyzing the code.

The stories about simple MQL4 are extremely funny. Discussions on OOP are generally beyond the limits, especially since it has been in MQL4 for a long time. Any programmer should now know OOP by default.

Only a sufficiently advanced programmer can create a program with acceptable quality. Do not deceive yourself and others with the opportunity to "write acceptable code without programming knowledge."

I spent 28 years on daily programming and I know that my statement is a reality.

• A sufficient part of our technology partners and third-party developers are directly interested in saving MetaTrader 4

Because this platform has so many technological flaws that they saddled the niche of additions / holes and directly feed on it.

Yes, they spend enough resources to convince brokers and traders that "MetaTrader 4 is better." Because their business will collapse . And here they sit under the names of independent traders, working in opposition.

We do not have the opportunity to aggressively deal with this, although we turn off particularly zealous and know very well what and how they say to brokers and traders.

For example, remember the cry that anti-virus programs have been raising for 10 years now, when Microsoft makes its platform more secure and takes away its protective functions. Straight righteous anger and a lot of PR.

• Progress unstoppable

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Does it make sense to move from MT4 to MT5? Why did you switch to MT5?

Renat Fatkhullin , 2019.02.09 00:29

Since, in the heat of discussion, many do not bother with facts, here are the statistics of open-source solutions in Codebase:

• MQL5: 6,700 programs
  • MQL4: 4,200 programs
Yes, unexpectedly, the MQL5 Codebase is more than 50%.

Should be interesting to see whether traders or others benefit more from MT4/5

fdeguzman:
I used to program in mt4 since 2008.  I like it very much.  I  could do just about everything using mt4.  I wrote EAs, scripts and mtf indicators.  I wrote EAs that read customer files subscribed to my signal service.  I could output neat-looking html files that my clients could subscribe to.  I wrote my own tick chart indicator.

I did not like mt5 when I first looked at it.
But when I switched to volume spread analysis and order flow analysis on Oct 2017, I found out that mt5 is the way to go.  Mt5 gives you the real tick info.  I went thru the documentation and examples on mql5.com.  In a very short time, I was able to build a barebone EA in mt5 without using the built-in mqh files.  I was able to program without using OOP.

Kudos to metaquotes.  They made mt4 which is already very powerful to a much powerful and better mt5.

I'm just wondering if someone here have used mt5 as HFT EA.

Unless you are in the Market maker class in some way shape or form the MT5 will always hold limited advantage. Even the way the chart separates the indicators from the candle stick clearly tells you that it is not designed to give advantage to retail traders.