trailling stop problem

Hi.

I had a position with a trailing stop and It didn't trigerred.

The broker said it was because I logged in and logout several times. Is that a possible reason?

I look for a reason on the mt5 manual and I didn't find any reason.

If someone can tell me a possible reason of not working a trailling stop, or if my broker it's right of telling me that.

this is the response of the broker

As per our conversation on Live Chat earlier regarding the Trailing stop you have placed please note that it did not triggered as you did login and logout several times.

According to MetaTrader 5:

Stop Loss is used for minimizing losses if the security price moves the wrong direction. Once a position becomes profitable, its Stop Loss can be manually moved to a break-even level. Trailing Stop automates this process. This tool is especially useful during a strong unidirectional price movement or when it is impossible to monitor the market continuously for some reason.
Trailing Stop is always associated with an open position or a pending order. It is executed in the trading platform rather than on the server like Stop Loss.

In simple terms, as soon as you close your platform the trailing stop loss is cancelled.

For more information customer can visit the following link: https://www.metatrader5.com/en/terminal/help/general_concept 

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us via email or Live Chat.

Best Regards,

Thanks

Michael

Of course the broker is right.

When you close you platform its only logical that your tralingstop will not work.

Can you still make a phone call when you switch off your phone?

The answer should be self explanatory.

mijael22:

Hi.

I had a position with a trailing stop and It didn't trigerred.

The broker said it was because I logged in and logout several times. Is that a possible reason?

If you close the terminal, you stop it from processing any trailing stops.

Trailing stops are controlled by your metatrader terminal, they are not managed by the broker.

- Jack

When you have opened a position you shouldn't logged out from internet and you should let the laptop or the mobile turned on. 

The way you can manage this problem is to have an EA that trails a hard stop... there are several in MARKET and elsewhere.  

The MQL5/4 trailing stop is managed by your terminal, but if you want to turn off your terminal, all you have to do is convert it to a hard stop at a specific price by modifying the position to have a hard stop at the last trailing stop position. 

When you log back on your can reactivate the trailing stop again.

This is easy if you turn off your terminal once a week or if you have a Windows upate or something, but it you want to turn off your terminal for long periods then you need a VPS to manage the trades.

Good luck.