Scaling Bitmap - page 5

Dominik Christian Egert #:
I see.

My addition was to give your statement some context.

Edit:

If there is a color palette in use, it is in fact packed, similar to a zip file.
The BMP file does not have a color palette, like in a gif.  I repeat once again - just an array of colored pixels (uint).

Nikolai Semko #:
The BMP file does not have a color palette, like in a gif.  I repeat once again - just an array of colored pixels (uint).
Wrong.

Wrong.

I think Nikolai means the uint array

Lorentzos Roussos #:

I think Nikolai means the uint array

He claimed:

"The BMP format is essentially the absence of any format, since the image in it is stored in a native array of pixels, like on a screen. "

Which is wrong.

EDIT:

I have written/coded bmp File Readers and writers. The BMP Format is not a 32 bit plain pixel array. Once you have coded such a function, you will see it is rarely the case to have 32 bit pixel data, most BMP files have less. And none of them specifies the alpha channel for displaying. They don't mind if it is present, but it is not part of the definition.

Wrong.

Read carefully, please.  This is a vestige of BMP with 8-bit color.  Now you won't find it anymore.  Now we are talking about 24-bit color with an alpha channel., not 8.

Who needs pictures with 256 colors instead of 16 million now?

Nikolai Semko #:
Read carefully, please.  This is a vestige of BMP with 8-bit color.  Now you won't find it anymore.  Now we are talking about 24-bit color with an alpha channel., not 8.

Who needs pictures with 256 colors instead of 16 million now?
You know, you are right. - And I enjoy my calm day...

BMP file format is basically without any format. Fine. Any definition of format is thrown over board, everything is a BMP file....

Enjoy your colorful life.
EDIT:

You didn't even read the whole spec, nor have you coded a function to read a bmp file and copy it to the frame buffer, or a mql resource for displaying on chart.

It's useless to discuss this further, anyone who reads this will see, if read carefully, as you ask, it's not as trivial as you said.

I am out of this discussion.

You know, you are right. - And I enjoy my calm day...

BMP file format is basically without any format. Fine. Any definition of format is thrown over board, everything is a BMP file....

Enjoy your colorful life.
EDIT:

You didn't even read the whole spec, nor have you coded a function to read a bmp file and copy it to the frame buffer, or a mql resource for displaying on chart.

It's useless to discuss this further, anyone who reads this will see, if read carefully, as you ask, it's not as trivial as you said.

I am out of this discussion.

Don't worry like that. Life's problems will someday end and everything will be fine. :))

@Dominik Christian Egert @Nikolai Semko

Can't we say your are both right ? Because rather than 1 BMP format we could rather talk about several formats (actually one with options). So the most common is more like a raw format without compression, but if you want to take all BMP possible pictures you would need to take into account the options.

Going back to MQL, is that really matters ? I didn't check if MQL is able to deal with any BMP file using some options of the specification ?

Alain Verleyen #:

@Dominik Christian Egert @Nikolai Semko

Can't we say your are both right ? Because rather than 1 BMP format we could rather talk about several formats (actually one with options). So the most common is more like a raw format without compression, but if you want to take all BMP possible pictures you would need to take into account the options.

Going back to MQL, is that really matters ? I didn't check if MQL is able to deal with any BMP file using some options of the specification ?

Well, I wrote a function to read BMP files into resources and display them on chart. Since MQ only supports one format, and almost all files are not in that specific format, I required a function to read and convert any BMP into that one specific MQ chosen BMP format. Or better said, I bypassed that and created the raw argb data array required for the resource.

As I already said, any file is a BMP or some type of image... So, no format applied, works, life is çolorful this way....

I like it. I am fine with that. We don't need specifications, formats or definitions....

Well, I wrote a function to read BMP files into resources and display them on chart. Since MQ only supports one format, and almost all files are not in that specific format, I required a function to read and convert any BMP into that one specific MQ chosen BMP format. Or better said, I bypassed that and created the raw argb data array required for the resource.

As I already said, any file is a BMP or some type of image... So, no format applied, works, life is çolorful this way....

I like it. I am fine with that. We don't need specifications, formats or definitions....

I'm embarrassed to ask - why do you need the BMP format? Isn't it easier to use PNG?

PNG files are smaller, have transparency support and no quality loss.