Alternatives for Those Running XP Computers - page 2

I have to admit I like windows 7 on my laptop. I helped my daughter get her laptop up and going under windows 8 and I didn't like it at all. I haven't tried Window 8.1...so I can't comment on it.

gcg

Today I received my last patch for XP Pro. In the coming days and weeks vulnerabilities will be exploited which I can't afford to have on a computer with my trading software and accounts. In my anger with Microsoft (I won't bore anyone with how many obsolete systems of mine have been orphaned because of Microsoft) I considered switching to Linux but, having considered all options I am now planning to install Windows 7 Pro on my current XP Pro computer and using Laplink's PCMover Window's 7 upgrade assistant. This seems like the easiest and most convenient way to upgrade and run my legacy software. I am trusting the hype by Microsoft that the 7 Professional version will run XP software. I have one piece of software that definitely doesn't work on the Home version of 7. Here is a link with info about Laplink's Window's 7 Upgrade Assistant. If it works as claimed the upgrade path shouldn't be too miserable. If a link to a product you can purchase is against site rules please forgive my ignorance. I am just trying to be helpful for those facing the issues I am facing.

Windows 7 Upgrade Assistant - Laplink® Software

My upgrade won't be immediate as I will have to order the necessary software. When I have completed the change over I will report how well it went.

A lot of problems reported by those trying t run metatrader on linux

Seems that it is better to stick to any kind of windows

Yep

Apparently some users reported that open and closes terminal repeatedly on linux after some time blocks the terminal (it can not connect to any of the servers - brokers). Looks like an error typical to metatrader terminal