Position Size of XAU / USD

Hi all !

I am getting my head around calculating XAU / USD position size but couldn't find the right answer.

If my account size is $2,000, amount risk % is 7.5% and stop loss is 30 pips, what would be the position size of XAU/USD pair ?

Different sites are giving different formulae

, so I am confused. For example, Babypips calculator is giving 50,000 units.

Another follow up question is how can I buy 50,000 units of XAU/USD when current rate is 1725.00 (assumed) and my account balance is only $2,000 and risk % is 7.5% ?

Another follow up question is how the use leverage would affect the position size ? Will a trader be able to buy more units if leverage is used ?

I would appreciate your kind help in this matter.

Kind Regards.

Can you please post the specification of XAUUSD which your brokers uses?

What is the standard lot size? what is the leverage?

Hi Shunmas,

I think - it is samer as for EURUSD:

10 points (or 1 pip) = 1 dollar in case of lot size 0.1

You can download and instal Alpari NZ Metatrader, open demo account and try to see by yourself.

Or you can use my example - I traded manually using NRTR_color_line indicator):

If you look at attached statement so you can see that

I opened buy trade with lot size 0.1 at 1714.51 and close it in 1714.97

(Alpari NZ broker, account with delerage 1:500).

profit was 46 points, or 4.6 dollars.

It means: every 10 points = 1 dollar in case of lot size = 0.1 (for 5 digit brokers).

means: 1718.89 - 1718.79 = 10 points = 1 dollar in case of lot size = 1

I did not calculate anything. I just looked at my statement (attached).

By the way, EURUSD is having the same: 10 points (or 1 pip) = 1 dollar in case of lot size = 0.1

means: 1.29307 - 1.29317 = 10 points or 1 pip = 1 dollar

So, basicly, XAUUSD and EURUSD are same concerning position size (in case of 5 digit broker for example).

About leverage and margins (risk for example) - no idea. You can instal Alpari NZ metatrader, open few demo accounts started with leverage 1:10 to 1:500 and see by yourself. I think 10 points will be 1 dollar anyway with lot size = 0.1 but it will affect on risk for example (margins).

if I am wrong so sorry as I am not theoretical person for this kind of calculation (I am more practical guy).

Which brokers offer XAUAUD pair?

besides Oanda and Saxobank, what are the other brokers that offer XAU/AUD pair?