Mp6140's Hedge - page 9

azmel:
coolhand,

Thanks for the tip . What is the spread that your broker give for your GBPJPY hedge?

P/S: Has anybody tried robertmc's hedge times he posted on post #6?

I have 2 different brokers I use, 2 different accounts with Oanda at 6.5 and North Finance at 7.

coolhand can I ask what you think the max drawdown has been to date trading just the GBP/JPY at the time setting you use approx.?

thanks again..

no trades with hedge expert??

Has any one had the problem of the expert 'mp6140 hedge v3.21' not placing any trades? I have seven charts open on an ODL demo with all seven trade times entered and there have been no trades after two days. There are no error messages listed uner the Journal or Experts tabs???????

LeoM

marketjouster:
Has any one had the problem of the expert 'mp6140 hedge v3.21' not placing any trades? I have seven charts open on an ODL demo with all seven trade times entered and there have been no trades after two days. There are no error messages listed uner the Journal or Experts tabs??????? LeoM

Hi marketjouster!

I have sometimes the problem, that the version 3.31 doesn't place any trade at a specified time. e.g. 0415, but it do trades the rest of the time. I'm watching for this.

Bye, Alex

at120:
Hi marketjouster!

I have sometimes the problem, that the version 3.31 doesn't place any trade at a specified time. e.g. 0415, but it do trades the rest of the time. I'm watching for this.

Bye, Alex

I notice this as well. What happen is that during this time, which usually in the early hours of the morning, there was no activity at all, sometimes up to several minutes. As the EA open its window to hedge for only 1 minute, there are times where it missed the times completely. I will modify the code so that the EA will have a bigger window to open the hedge.

Closing Trades

Azmel,

Just started using your EA. Maybe I don't understand how the EA works exactly yet but it seems that it might be more profitable if there was a small user set gap between the sell and buy using a pending order (similar to Straddle & Trail EA). Today, on the GBP/USD there was no retrace and as suggested I set the SL to "0", so on two of the three time periods I had a 75 pip & still running against the trend loss on each. You might also want to set an option that once one side has reached profit, that the EA would cancel the opposite pending order (if used). Just my 2 cents on an initial observation. I think that the EA has a lot of potential. I would like to use it as an adjunct to another EA I use to capture the lost pips when there is a swing in the opposite direction during a trend. It just needs a little more sophistication. Great job!

Trader1

Money Management

Wow.... the GBPUSD pair is not being very kind lately. A few hedges are opened and still running. I have a hedge from last week that is now 250 pips negative!

As this strategy does not use any Stop Loss, the only thing that will be holding it back is Margin Call.

mp6140, based on your experience trading this strategy, what would be your preferred lot size as compared to your account balance to ensure that there is enough room to avoid Margin Call?

Trader1, I haven't use Straddle and Trail EA. It does sound like a breakout box strategy. Can S&T do what you described? If it does, then there will be no need to put that feature in this EA as I believe there are already many breakout box EAs around which can place pending orders at a certain time of the day.

Regards,

Azmel.

azmel:
Wow.... the GBPUSD pair is not being very kind lately. A few hedges are opened and still running. I have a hedge from last week that is now 250 pips negative!

As this strategy does not use any Stop Loss, the only thing that will be holding it back is Margin Call.

mp6140, based on your experience trading this strategy, what would be your preferred lot size as compared to your account balance to ensure that there is enough room to avoid Margin Call?

Trader1, I haven't use Straddle and Trail EA. It does sound like a breakout box strategy. Can S&T do what you described? If it does, then there will be no need to put that feature in this EA as I believe there are already many breakout box EAs around which can place pending orders at a certain time of the day.

Regards,

Azmel.

Lucky you!

I've got one that is -500 from 20/01 and another which is -180 from 26/02. I've been collecting lots of 5 pip wins but the 2 major drawdowns are a little worrying.

Glad i'm only demoing at the moment.

Chris

How to avoid Margin Call

Thank you chrislee for your input. Yes, when I look back at the charts, there will be instances where one side of the hedge hit, and the other side of the hedge floats - sometime dipping to an astonishing 500 pips in the opposite direction (as in chrislee's case) before attemping to recover again.

As I mentioned earlier, this strategy does not have any Stop Loss, so the only thing holding it back would be Margin Call.

This doesn't occur very often, but if it does occur, and we are not prepared, it will wipe all the account balances.

For this, I ask that everyone who uses this hedging strategy to give at least a room of 1,000 pips for the hedge to swing thus giving it space not to hit margin call. For those who have 1:100 leverage, this means set your Risk not greater than 10, and for those with 1:200 leverage, set your Risk not greater than 5. Again with multiple hedges, there can also be instances where more than one trade get caught in a float - so to eliminate those possibility as well, reduce your Risk even smaller still.

Remember what mp6140 said, greed is the main factor your account gets blown.

mp6140 also said, his hedging times are not written in stone, and I can feel some of the hedging times are starting to slip away. I do feel that that these hedge times changes continuously, so we need to put our heads and resources together to update everyone if you find one hedge time turns bad, or if you have discovered another hedge time which is good. If someone were to stumble on this thread one year from now, I don't think the present hedge times will work anymore, and will probably blow his account right away.

I have also been thinking about psperos' Countertrade idea in post #66. While his idea is good, but it will double the chances of hitting Margin Call should the countertrade (and the original trade) floats. So I am going to put this idea on hold for the time being.

didn'm mp6140 say that he uses this strategy for several years with the same hedge times ?