HedgeEA - page 44

Profit indicator

Well, it seems as though the v6.0 is working quite well

At the moment, the only thing I can find that should be fixed is the profit indicator on the chart. It lists the profit in pips, but it doesn't seem consistent with the actual profit observed in the Terminal.

Other than that, WOOOOHOOOO!

Doug

bodshyipmonitor:
btw.. Kokas, how long HedgeEA been running for you? Do you come out profit every month?

What are your settings?

ProfitTarget in %?

MaxLoss in %?

Cheers.

Profit Target = 50 (Pips)

MaxLoss = 0

I think that profit target can be greatly increased, we need a trailling for the hedge.

Correlation question

Kokas,

In the Inputs section of the latest version (or other versions for that matter), if the user opts to use correlation, there is a min correlation setting and a max correlation setting. The use of these settings is very clear if the correlation is positive.

However, if the correlation is negative (i.e. as one pair moves up, the other pair moves down), then how should I enter my data into the min and max correlation settings? Are these values treated as absolutevalues? For instance, the 'strongest' correlation would be a -1.0, and the "weakest" correlation I would accept would be, say, a -0.8. Yet if I read the input section correctly, the max correlation would have to be -0.8 since I couldn't have the max being arithmetically less than the min.

Is this question at all clear?

Hi,

Well the MAX correlation must be the less negative

the use of correlation depends on what pairs are you working with.

If you want the correlation to be true near -1 you need to put Max correlation = -0.8 and Min Correlation = -1

Hope this clears,

Hedge Indicator v09 & Correlation vs Cash Grab comment

I've attached the latest version of my Hedge Indicator. While it is only an idicator it can reveal some amazing things. I'm hoping this will help improve the Hedge EA by being able to analyze history.

I've also included the help file that can be created from within the indicator. This is "printed" to the "Experts/Files" directory. If you run this indicator, be sure to look at the "Experts" tab in the "Terminal" window, I print a lot of info to the log.

IMHO, It sure would be nice if more coders could include directions or help information in the code! (Sometimes I forget how to use some of the variables in my code!!)

Switching topics:

One suggestion from a fellow trader - If you buy the GBPUSD and USDJPY, there may be larger cash grabs, but because they show less correlation, you can also be negative for a week or more. If you buy the GBPUSD and USDCHF there is better correlation, allowing more lots (more than 50% of your margin)and you can do a cash grab almost daily. So stick with the better correlated pairs.

What do you think?

hi Stevensign.

i don't know about the idea of increasing the lots when the pairs are in better correlation, you can place the orders and than the pair don't correlate like before your exposure will be very bad to the market.

we see now a big drawdown on all pairs what tell us that caution is better and always leave enough margin to survive this times.

Stevensign:
I've attached the latest version of my Hedge Indicator. While it is only an idicator it can reveal some amazing things. I'm hoping this will help improve the Hedge EA by being able to analyze history.

I've also included the help file that can be created from within the indicator. This is "printed" to the "Experts/Files" directory. If you run this indicator, be sure to look at the "Experts" tab in the "Terminal" window, I print a lot of info to the log.

IMHO, It sure would be nice if more coders could include directions or help information in the code! (Sometimes I forget how to use some of the variables in my code!!)

Switching topics:

One suggestion from a fellow trader - If you buy the GBPUSD and USDJPY, there may be larger cash grabs, but because they show less correlation, you can also be negative for a week or more. If you buy the GBPUSD and USDCHF there is better correlation, allowing more lots (more than 50% of your margin)and you can do a cash grab almost daily. So stick with the better correlated pairs.

What do you think?

dcraig:
Kokas,

In the Inputs section of the latest version (or other versions for that matter), if the user opts to use correlation, there is a min correlation setting and a max correlation setting. The use of these settings is very clear if the correlation is positive.

However, if the correlation is negative (i.e. as one pair moves up, the other pair moves down), then how should I enter my data into the min and max correlation settings? Are these values treated as absolutevalues? For instance, the 'strongest' correlation would be a -1.0, and the "weakest" correlation I would accept would be, say, a -0.8. Yet if I read the input section correctly, the max correlation would have to be -0.8 since I couldn't have the max being arithmetically less than the min.

Is this question at all clear?

dcraig,

Please check your email.. There seems to be some problem with the server lately.

hi Stevensign.

can you arrange your hedge advisor to accept other pairs?

i really want to check other pairs and see if the more potential then the majors.

Correlation

400396:
hi Stevensign.

i don't know about the idea of increasing the lots when the pairs are in better correlation, you can place the orders and than the pair don't correlate like before your exposure will be very bad to the market.

we see now a big drawdown on all pairs what tell us that caution is better and always leave enough margin to survive this times.

I agree with your observation.

It is important to use long term correlation, I think the default settings for the HedgeEA is to use a SMA(20) on the current chart. If I read the code correctly, if you put it on a one hour chart, it shows how well correlated the most recent candle is compared to the last SMA(20) for the two pairs. I could be wrong. For me that is way too short. I can't just increase the value of 'cPeriod' since it will still use the close of the current candle. I would like to see another variable that let's me define the timeframe. I would probably use a daily candle. However I'm looking for more of a long term use of correlation to determine amount to risk rather than entry points.

There may be value in comparing correlation on long and short time frames, that may be it's best use. For example if the long term corr. (LTC) is 0.8 but the STC is 0.9 that may be a good time to enter, expecting a cash grab when the STC returns to 0.8.

I believe the if the two pairs had a correlation of 1.0 you basically would have little opportunity for a cash grab but also very little drawdown and you could use more lots and just collect interest, but that doesn't exist.

I still need to do more research into correlation issues, I'm still learning.

I don't use correlation at this time.

Just my thoughts...

Additional Pairs for Hedge Indicator

400396:
hi Stevensign.

can you arrange your hedge advisor to accept other pairs?

i really want to check other pairs and see if the more potential then the majors.

I'l being updating the indicator in the next week or so to allow other pairs.