10points 3.mq4 - page 134

davidke20:
oh well, there is about 1300post on 10point3 thread, and multiple 10point3 threads around. until you finish them, i dont think i can help you to find a clue. too complicated to understand by few words.

Wow ... what a lot to wade through. Well, I'm here and up to date (I think).

Correct me if I'm wrong but, even though you're trying different developments of 10points3, the one from post #178 still performs well, yes? It seems to me that there's a risk of a substantial loss, but the overall gains should outweigh the losses ... assuming your account can stand it.

I've been running the EA on test, and I like what I see.....so much so, that I have opened a real money account which I will start running this evening. I'd just like to make sure I've got some things right. I was going to go with maxtrades=10, but think (starting at 0.01 lots) I could lose about $1800+ on a big run. If I set the maxtrades=8, that should reduce the max hit to about $600. Right? Given the performance, I think that's manageable. Just to save me ploughing through Yeoeleven's statements again, does anybody know how often 8 trades have been hit? .. .and was that only during NFP or FOMC?

Yeoeleven, you showed a big hit in your post #1037. I've tried to look back over my news lists, but that occurred whilst I was away for Christmas, and I don't know where there is a historical list of news events. Do you happen to know what caused the market to move on that occasion?

I think, if I run 10points3_dynamic_stop, and stop it just before NFP ... it should work.

I do have one question about the actual method (and forgive me if it's been covered in the posts .. there was a lot there, and I might have missed it). The EA works by doubling the trade each time it's losing, until there's a retracement .. then closes them all. Once the trade has moved to the next level .. and the next.. and so on, why are the smaller ones kept open, as they're going to lose - even when the bigger one eventually wins? Wouldn't it cut the potential loss, if the smaller positions could be closed as it moves onto the next level. That would enable the EA to go to an extra level, increasing the chances of success.

Also, I presume that I'm right in thinking that the EA will always win, providing your pockets are deep enough. Has anyone looked to see what the biggest ever market movement has been .... and how many trades you'd need to accommodate that?

Research

FutureMillionaire?:
Wow ... what a lot to wade through. Well, I'm here and up to date (I think).

Correct me if I'm wrong but, even though you're trying different developments of 10points3, the one from post #178 still performs well, yes? It seems to me that there's a risk of a substantial loss, but the overall gains should outweigh the losses ... assuming your account can stand it.

I've been running the EA on test, and I like what I see.....so much so, that I have opened a real money account which I will start running this evening. I'd just like to make sure I've got some things right. I was going to go with maxtrades=10, but think (starting at 0.01 lots) I could lose about $1800+ on a big run. If I set the maxtrades=8, that should reduce the max hit to about $600. Right? Given the performance, I think that's manageable. Just to save me ploughing through Yeoeleven's statements again, does anybody know how often 8 trades have been hit? .. .and was that only during NFP or FOMC?

Yeoeleven, you showed a big hit in your post #1037. I've tried to look back over my news lists, but that occurred whilst I was away for Christmas, and I don't know where there is a historical list of news events. Do you happen to know what caused the market to move on that occasion?

I think, if I run 10points3_dynamic_stop, and stop it just before NFP ... it should work.

I do have one question about the actual method (and forgive me if it's been covered in the posts .. there was a lot there, and I might have missed it). The EA works by doubling the trade each time it's losing, until there's a retracement .. then closes them all. Once the trade has moved to the next level .. and the next.. and so on, why are the smaller ones kept open, as they're going to lose - even when the bigger one eventually wins? Wouldn't it cut the potential loss, if the smaller positions could be closed as it moves onto the next level. That would enable the EA to go to an extra level, increasing the chances of success.

Also, I presume that I'm right in thinking that the EA will always win, providing your pockets are deep enough. Has anyone looked to see what the biggest ever market movement has been .... and how many trades you'd need to accommodate that?

WOW you have been busy.

Yes the Dynamic Stop from page 18 is the best version that I have used but would rather be able to scale down the progression from 2 to 1.7.

After my experiences documented on CHFUSD GIF below I stopped using MaxTrades10 it has occurred more times than just over news announcements although it would be better to close off prior to the major announcememnts.

The hit that you mentioned was over the period between Christmas and New Year it apparently is a volatile period and I have vowed never to trade during that holiday season again.

The smaller trades are kept open because even though they ultimately may lose the overall profitability of the progression makes the result

acceptable and as the latest progression gains profit so the others improve their position. The author decided that was the way to go and this version has not changed that logic.

A directional change GIF has been added to further illustrate the value involved with retracements.

The most important consideration in profitable trading is the settings and you have not included them in your post. The PipStep is vital, too small and the progression can occur too rapidly. TakeProfit needs to be not too high to miss out repeatedly and not so low to impede profitability. InitialStop has to be understood from the explanatory post on page 19. Will you impede the progression by using AccountProtect and OrderstoProtect. Do you intend to use MoneyManagement and if so what risk level? These are important settings and will affect the overall success of your venture. You have mentioned MaxTrades but I would avoid 10.

MaxTrades5

PipStep18

TakeProfit20

InitialStop1

AccountstoProtect0

OrdersTo Protect0

MM1

Risk1

Close to those settings should be ok but you may decide that MM should be used after the account has proved itself over a month or so.

John

Files:

Thanks for your quick reply

yeoeleven:

The hit that you mentioned was over the period between Christmas and New Year it apparently is a volatile period and I have vowed never to trade during that holiday season again.

So this wasn't any particular event then. I wonder why it's so volatile then

The smaller trades are kept open because even though they ultimately may lose

I thought they were definitely going to lose ... because it's progressed beyond where they could win.

MaxTrades5

PipStep18

TakeProfit20

InitialStop1

AccountstoProtect0

OrdersTo Protect0

MM1

Risk1

Well, I've been quite impressed with the results I've got, so think I'll stick with them. The only major difference is the risk. Mine is set to 12 ... I'm not sure how that will affect it. Presumably, even if it goes in the wrong direction - as long as it's not a huge movement without any retracement, then risk doesn't matter.

.... Oh, and I thought I'd introduce myself. I've been thinking that "FutureMillionaire?" is rather impersonal...... My name is Ray. My chosen identity here was a bit "tongue in cheek"

I appreciate your efforts on this thread. I shall let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Ray

this is 10_points wit new

Files:

and this is new but I dont spek veri good EN

Files:

richi:
this is 10_points wit new

Hi richi

Wich version of 10point 3 you are testing ?

Settings

Ray,

I thought they were definitely going to lose ... because it's progressed beyond where they could win.

They are going to lose but if they were closed they would lose anyway and if kept open they will lose less providing the progression closed successfully.

The only major difference is the risk. Mine is set to 12 ... I'm not sure how that will affect it.

Unless your MM is set to 1 then the risk setting will be disregarded. If however you set MM1 then the risk probably will be unacceptable. By default the MM is set at 0 thus making the Risk12 setting redundant.

I shall let you know how I get on.

We will be interested to see your results.

John

yeoeleven:

Unless your MM is set to 1 then the risk setting will be disregarded. If however you set MM1 then the risk probably will be unacceptable. By default the MM is set at 0 thus making the Risk12 setting redundant.

Ah well, I've got MM set to zero. I shall step up the lot size as the account increases....... hopefully. Doing it that way, I can let the account grow out of proportion, so that I can also step up the number of trades (the account size at the moment wouldn't cope with more than 8)

Has anyone looked at how many trades would be needed to survive the biggest moves?

Ray

fxnewbie:
Hi richi Wich version of 10point 3 you are testing ?

This is my versi wit new rule 4h and 1h and 15 min

New version

richi:
This is my versi wit new rule 4h and 1h and 15 min

Hi richi,

you seem to be having good results with your new versions, I am sure some if us will forward test if you post the MQL files.

John