When are you planning to move on MT5 ? - page 4

Keith Watford:
Not impossible, it may well be that many, if MT4 is withdrawn will turn to another platform. Metaquotes are not the only kid on the block.
What platform???.

Jose Francisco Casado Fernandez:
What platform???.
Many.

Keith Watford: Not impossible, it may well be that many, if MT4 is withdrawn will turn to another platform. Metaquotes are not the only kid on the block.
Agreed! I too am looking at another two products. For now I intend to use all 4 - MT4, MT5 and another 2 (which I supposed I am not allowed to mention here), until I can truly evaluate the "pros" and "cons" of each.

Jose Francisco Casado Fernandez: What platform???.
Several others, and there are even a few that allow using MQL4 source code as an alternative to their own.

stanislass:

Years of development of thousand people around the world?

Years of development STOLEN due to ease of decompiling codes. Years of poor quality codes. Years of not being able to save or consult ticks reliably. Years of doing everything through M1 candles. Years of estimating, interpolating, guessing, calculating things that you do not really know how close they are to reality. Years without knowing the real volume. Years Using "Unreal" Market Profiles. Years doing backtesting that were useless. Years of bad reputation for robots, because of all of this.

It's my opinion about MT4.

Regards.

Years of development STOLEN due to ease of decompiling codes. Years of poor quality codes. Years of not being able to save or consult ticks reliably. Years of doing everything through M1 candles. Years of estimating, interpolating, guessing, calculating things that you do not really know how close they are to reality. Years without knowing the real volume. Years Using "Unreal" Market Profiles. Years doing backtesting that were useless. Years of bad reputation for robots, because of all of this.

It's my opinion about MT4.

I think you are being a little clinical there.  I too have several years of use of MQL4 and I did not ever have the need to "decompile" or "steal" code nor did I have any trouble using real tick data (neither when trading live nor when doing back-tests).

In fact, many of the things you mention have more to do with the quality (or lack there of) of the trader and the developer, than the quality of the product itself.

EDIT: For example - What makes a photo be considered good and appealing - the Camera or the Photographer?

Marco vd Heijden:
Many.

I think I know which platform refers you to. You can use it. How many brokers offers it??.

The problem is that if you will remain using mql4, you will always face the same limitations, whatever platform you use.

Regards.

Jose Francisco Casado Fernandez: I think I know which platform refers you to. You can use it. How many brokers offers it??.

The problem is that if you will remain using mql4, you will always face the same limitations, whatever platform you use.

I think you are being a little close minded! That are many good quality products out there, some of which I consider better. Just because they have a smaller market share does not make them inferior.

Just like there is Windows, Linix, OSX, etc. - each with their pros and cons and each with its own merits, independently of their market share.

EDIT: I'm a Windows person myself, but that does not mean that I consider the others inferior. It is just that I don't have much experience with them.

I think I know which platform refers you to. You can use it. How many brokers offers it??.

Regards.

Then the challenge becomes to make things profitable and to keep things profitable despite these limitations.

Fernando Carreiro:

I think you are being a little clinical there.  I too have several years of use of MQL4 and I did not ever have the need to "decompile" or "steal" code nor did I have any trouble using real tick data (neither when trading live nor when doing back-tests).

In fact, many of the things you mention have more to do with the quality (or lack there of) of the trader and the developer, than the quality of the product itself.

You have not decompiled, but many other people did, and stole months of effort from many developers.

Do you use ticks history when you are trading live ???, How do you do it ??, Are you saving the ticks to a file ??

That also has many limitations. Do you have the platform turned on 24 hours a day? If yes, still you'll NEVER keep all the ticks, for many reasons. I guess you'll know that.

And regarding backtesting, there are very few data sources, in fact, almost everyone uses the same source. How much have you paid for third-party software for something that MT5 does natively in an easy and free way ???. How many hours have you spent downloading and preparing those data ??? And then, a month later, you repeat the same process to download and prepare the new data ???, and so on??.

No, it is not because of poor quality of the trader or the developer, it is because of the limitations of the product.

Regards.