Global Variables versus FileWrite - page 4

He could do that too. But if he uses account number in the filewrite the user could even transfer to a differnt PC and continue as long as he takes the file. I thought he wanted to use a retrievable number.

Account Number is a good idea BUT you still need to distinguish between several EAs running on the same account.

Which leads us right back around to how to create something that is:

1. Unique

2. Retrievable

Anything that can be changed by the user such as Magic Number requires extra coding.

A unique name generator is still going to require another GV to track the name.

GV can be changed by the user too

qjol:
GV can be changed by the user too

I bet toast don't realized that yet. :)

use a dll contains the MagicNumber

deysmacro:

I bet toast don't realized that yet. :)

A little unnecessary, but if cheap shots make you feel any better about yourself go for it :)

In any event, that point had already been raised in the thread by angevoyageur

angevoyageur:
Global Variables of the terminal are more easy to use, you can also change them manually within the terminal. But writing to a file is more flexible.

@qjol - thanks for the reply.

I think the Magic Number is taking us off at a tangent. I don't need to use Magic Number at all, it was simply a (flawed) way to create a unique name for a GV.

I wish to retain the ability of the user to select their own Magic Number, which means I'll have to find another way to create GV names or add in extra code to cater for the user changing the Magic Number.

To sum up:

I wanted to know if ChartID had any issues. The 2 limitations we've come up with are:

1. We have no control over what value ChartID is; and

2. If the chart window is closed while the terminal is running, the ChartID is lost.

The alternative approaches are to:

1. Use Magic Number and add extra code to deal with user changes and duplicate magic numbers; or

2. Create a name generator and add another GV to track the name.

If I've missed any options out, please let me know. Otherwise thank you to everybody for replying.

toast:

If I've missed any options out, please let me know. Otherwise thank you to everybody for replying.

you have to deal if the user messed around with GV

qjol:

you have to deal if the user messed around with GV

Yes, this is a valid point with any approach using GV rather than filewrite.

I hope that most people who don't know what GVs are generally avoid pressing F3!

I think it is fair to say that there is no perfect solution, but plenty of workable ones.

Thank you once again.

toast:

Yes, this is a valid point with any approach using GV rather than filewrite.

I hope that most people who don't know what GVs are generally avoid pressing F3!

I think it is fair to say that there is no perfect solution, but plenty of workable ones.

Thank you once again.

The only way I see this, is to write a dll and then makes it communicate with server, off the pc. That way nobody can mess around.

Like how those Clickbank EA sellers does.

deysmacro:

The only way I see this, is to write a dll and then makes it communicate with server, off the pc. That way nobody can mess around.

Like how those Clickbank EA sellers does.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have a look into what Clickbank EA sellers do.