I'm Fade up from Meta Quotes updates????????????????? - page 3

gchrmt4:
and therefore I can't see any way that it could update files in a restricted area without invoking a UAC prompt. I certainly haven't seen MT4 manage to do an update of a restricted installation area without invoking UAC.)

OK let me rephrase, on my PC:

Might be something to do with my current PC changing in some way that I'm not aware of, might not...

ydrol:

OK let me rephrase, on my PC [...]

<g> Four possibilities: MT4 is now using something Firefox-esque; it has done something else such as lowering the file security on terminal.exe during (UAC-enabled) updates; there is a bug in Windows which allows these updates of protected files; you have lost track of your installations and the one in question is not in a protected area of disk (and MT4 is now only invoking a UAC prompt when it actually needs to).

gchrmt4:
<g> Four possibilities: MT4 is now using something Firefox-esque; it has done something else such as lowering the file security on terminal.exe during (UAC-enabled) updates; there is a bug in Windows which allows these updates of protected files; you have lost track of your installations and the one in question is not in a protected area of disk (and MT4 is now only invoking a UAC prompt when it actually needs to).

All installed to Programs x86... Maybe someone else can try :)

ydrol:
  • UAC is enabled
  • I'm an admin
(Going a little off topic... I lost track of the intricacies of the access tokens some years ago, but I think that there is no such thing as an "admin" account if UAC is turned on. What you have is a standard user account which is allowed to escalate to admin on user confirmation via a secure UI. A process which is started during such a period of escalation then has an admin-enabled access token for its lifetime.)

ydrol:

All installed to Programs x86... Maybe someone else can try :)
I've got the 616 update sitting in the WebInstall directory, and a 610 copy in \Program Files x86 is asking for escalation in order to do the update.

Hmm - maybe I'll reboot :)

SDC:

ooo running admin xp style huh ... thats living on the edge !! Yeah its different when you operate as a standard user, but after a while it just becomes routine to enter admin passwords. Ive been doing it for years now.

Yeah I'll give it another spin, now that I have moved all of my server apps onto a VM :) Actually not so simple as I have admin rights on my work account, all tied into AD, and wouldn't want to give them up :)

However I've played with PSExec to run programs as a limited user before. Might try that if it works under W7 for email, web and other attack vectors ...

gchrmt4:
I've got the 616 update sitting in the WebInstall directory, and a 610 copy in \Program Files x86 is asking for escalation in order to do the update.

Re-applied UAC and its working again, prompting for the 610-616 update. False Positive by me :) Not sure why UAC behaviour changed, and dont care to find out :)