************Forum EA Contest .... Lets Have Some Fun************** - page 3

FMIC:

The idea of the evolution of EA's seems a good one, but by the second contest, it would cut out all other new ideas and only leave one going.

I would make contests be a mix. In other words, by the second contest, I would allow for example 4 mutations of the original winner, and 2 new independent EA's to compete.

In real life, that's how things would evolve (species competing with other species that have evolved differently). That way, a new comer could come up on top of the previous winner/mutation and start a totally new "species" - such as "dinosaurs" dying out to make room for "mammals".

Good point. It'll be nice to just get the first one over with.

The idea of self contained is so that the Host is not then blamed for the EA not working correctly because he did not setup the environment correctly.

When the "H" hour starts and the EA's gives an error because it could not find the indicator file, the host will be blamed for the EA not winning the competition.

As for code "gurus", this is a Code Site, not a trading site, so it makes sense the competition should be about "code", not the trading.

*** EA should be self-contained (meaning 1 file) .... No Custom Indicators ... No DLLs.

*** Host will not be Modifying Extern Parameters. Please make sure you have the Correct Default Values when Posting an EA.

*** Host will not be Responsible for Connection Issues etc ... Whatever happens happens.

*** Please specify the Symbol and TimeFrame the EA should be Attached to Upon Submitting.

*** Please specify a Name and Short Description of the EA.

*** My profile page will be updated to reflect these Rules.

*** I'll provide an Example of an Expert Advisor Attachment with the next post.

Ubzen, I would recommend that the first Competition be considered a test run "among friends", so that we can iron-out kinks or difficulties that may be encountered. Anyone participating will then be allowed again to participate in the 2nd and real competition (if they wish), even if they lost and even if they then supply a different EA.

**** Below is just an Example **** Original Codes ONLY for Contest.

Attached is the Code for the 1st Contest.

Expert_Name: Sophia1_1

Author: Vangabestia

Symbol: USDCAD

Period: M1

Parameters: Default

Link: https://www.mql5.com/en/code/10562.

Description: Opposite Direction Trader ... With Martingale Management.

Files:

Thinking about it more, I would have to disagree on the fact "that participants can submit any code" into the competition. To be really fair, and for someone to really receive the title of "winner", should it not be their own code?

Sure, they may have taken some ideas from others' code, but it should be mostly their own code and they should be able to modify it and "evolve" the code for subsequent competitions, should they win. I don't think it really fair that they receive the laurels for someone else's work and knowledge.

If I am going to be a "host", I think I would have to be strongly opposed to people submitting other peoples works. It should be their own. It does not have to be 100% original, but there should be an honest effort by the participant to submit something which would reasonably be considered their own.

Obviously, the evolutions would be exceptions because the code would only be submitting one's alterations to the previous winner, but all other new entries should be somewhat their own code.

FMIC: Thinking about it more, I would have to disagree on the fact "that participants can submit any code" into the competition. To be really fair, and for someone to really receive the title of "winner", should it not be their own code?

Sure, they may have taken some ideas from others' code, but it should be mostly their own code and they should be able to modify it and "evolve" the code for subsequent competitions, should they win. I don't think it really fair that they receive the laurels for someone else's work and knowledge.

If I am going to be a "host", I think I would have to be strongly opposed to people submitting other peoples works. It should be their own. It does not have to be 100% original, but there should be an honest effort by the participant to submit something which would reasonably be considered their own.

Fine (if its that important to you) Original_Codes Only. But we'll be excluding the non-programmers from participating, lets see how that goes.

But I want to be clear.... I do-not think we should get stuck in a lengthy discussion about what should and shouldn't be implemented. Whats important is going through the process ... the longer this drags out ... it'll lose steam. Its not important that we get it right this time but rather that we get it done ... by keeping it simple.

Starting Amount $100, $1000, $10,000. Any Votes?

It is important but not a deal breaker. Just a strong opinion that I am discussing with you! However, if you are in agreement, I would prefer it.

Obviously, I am not going to verify that code is original. I would take it on good faith that it is. I would just like it if participants try to keep to that idea of things.

Ok! It is settled, no more discussion, just action!

By the way, are you in agreement, that the first competition is going to be a test run "among friends" as I asked in a previous post?

FMIC: By the way, are you in agreement, that the first competition is going to be a test run "among friends" as I asked in a previous post?
Yes, I'm in agreement. We probably need 1 or possibly (2 more friends excluding you). I know some people are reading this and thinking "wouldn't work" but it will :). We just need to be decisive and move to the harder parts like Public_Viewing_Progress on Signals ... etc.